Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Being Siphoned-Off By Unknown Program(s)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JulianAS

JulianAS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

Hello Fellow Forum Members.  

I connect my laptop to the internet using an AT&T wireless account which means  that my connection (uploadis and downloads)  are completely wireless.  

I have been noticing that when I am online, whether I have a browser open or not, after a few minutes my data begins to drain away.  Because

my account allots only five gigabytes per month,  I have to guard my data usage against wasteful downloading.  I have a nice little program called BitMeter

installed which allows me to monitor data usage in real-time using a graphic display and which can be set to give audio notifications when a preset  

volume of data is transferred.  However, I cannot tell what it is, i.e. , which [background]  program(s)  are frequently connecting to the internet and siphoning

my data.  In other words, I have observed that,  after the connection is made through the communication manager,and my computer is idling, I frequently receive an

audio notification that data is suddenly being used as there is in progress a transfer of data to the internet.  I am hoping to find a program (that has a small

footprint and is light on resources) which can identify which program(s) on my computer are currently making a connectin to the internet.  Windows Update

runs in the background; I have turned it off but the problem persists.  I have Norton 360 installed and it periodically updates definitions;  I have turned that off

temporally but the problem continues.  So, I'm hoping to find a program that can identify any and all real-time connections made between my computer and the

internet.   I would be grateful if someone would direct  me to a program that identifies all separate current connections between one's computer and the internet.

Thank you fellow members.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

Hello -
First ...............
Please contact AT&T and tell them that you believe your connection is not secure.
Your ISP should help you to reset your connection for free, and always help you with this.
This may involve sitting on the phone for a while as they often do get very busy.
Persist in calling them if this continues, and they will help you or check your system.

5 Free Windows Programs To Monitor Your Internet Usage

"ProcessExplorer" from Microsoft (by Mark Russinovich)

Just a few ideas to start with -

#3 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Just another thought, there are many more programs that automatically update, or check for updates ETC.  Adobe, Java, even just windows error reporting (which would take advantage of you being idle, as they assume you have no limit).  I myself am limited to 50GB, but have no clue why anyone would be limited to a measly 5GB, even cell phone plans exceed that!

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users