Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google tool bar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

My sister as a Mac computer with a very large screen & the Mountain Lion OS and Safari. The other day the google tool bar disappeared which she finds annoying and I have heard that Apple & Google are not the best of friends at the moment and Apple was removing the tool bar when updating. Is this so and how does she go about reinstalling the tool bar? I think she keeps various new papers etc on the bar so she doesn't have to go into favourites each time?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by center, 20 September 2013 - 02:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

My sister as a Mac computer with a very large screen & the Mountain Lion OS and Safari. The other day the google tool bar disappeared which she finds annoying and I have heard that Apple & Google are not the best of friends at the moment and Apple was removing the tool bar when updating. Is this so and how does she go about reinstalling the tool bar? I think she keeps various new papers etc on the bar so she doesn't have to go into favourites each time?
Thanks for any help.

Not sure what you mean by "Google Toolbar". To my knowledge, Google does not make a version of their actual Toolbar for Safari on the Mac. They have a version for Firefox on the Mac.

Are you talking about the built in web search function in Safari? A third party extension? Or something else?

#3 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for the reply Smax013. You are probably correct she doesn't have a very good knowledge of computer terms and emailed me about the problem! From what I can gather she was able to scroll back and forwards while reading a news paper etc using Safari & Google with some "button" on the screen which it seems has disappeared and now for some reason she needs to type the web address in each time instead of using this "button" or whatever it is. Not being able to see what she is on about that is about all I can say. I have seen online that a few people are not happy with Apple after an update apparently messed something up while using Google as a search engine. So she might on about the same thing perhaps. Very vague I know but any ideas you have would be appreciated?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

Kind of sounds like she may have accidentally hidden the actually Safari toolbar that contains the forward & back buttons (among other things). If so, she should be able to go to the View menu in Safari and select "Show Toolbar" (it should be the first item in the menu).

FWIW, you can still search using Google with Safari. I will note that Apple when to a "unified search field" for Safari in Mountain Lion. So, rather than one "field" for URLs and one "field" for searches, it is all one "field" for doing both. But, you can still have it use Google for searching if you want (you can also change the search provider to Yahoo or Bing if you want).

#5 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

Thanks again Smax013 I would say you are spot on here and I will email your reply to her and become her favourite brother again.?

Again many thanks for your help & good luck  :thumbup2:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users