Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mounting a fan with magnets: Is it safe?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 .Phantom

.Phantom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'm looking into securing a fan to the inside of my case with these magnets. Is there any real chance that my computer could be damaged by them? (The fan will be mounted fairly close to my 650 Ti Boost.)

I've always been told to keep magnets away from electronics, and though the prolimatech magnet pins are very small, I would just like to be as safe as possible.

Would this tape be a better alternative?

Edited by .Phantom, 20 September 2013 - 01:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:02 AM

Hello .Phantom -

What is wrong with using the correct Screw / Nut & Bolt set-up, often supplied with fans ??

I never like magnets on the case if you can do it the right way.

What if a section of the case is Plastic or Aluminium ? (plastic is used in some modern cases)

Is this a legit question, or advertising for the magnets ?

Thank You for showing them, as someone may find it interesting -

#3 .Phantom

.Phantom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

There are no screw holes for another fan. The case is made of plastic and steel, but the part the magnets would connect to is made of steel. (the panel that slides off, to be more exact)

This is an actual question, haha. I can see how it looks like an advertisement. Thanks for the response. 

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

You could always drill holes....the threads are located on the fan enclosure, so all you need are four holes just big enough to fit the screws.

Even Tim Taylor couldn't screw that up! :smash:

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

Mounting an electrically driven motorised and vibrating piece of machinery with magnets looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Magnets on flat surfaces can and do slip when subjected to constant vibration frequencies. I would not trust the claims of the supplier without a great deal of evidence that their magnetic adaptors are safe. Surface area, material and magnetic strength are paramount in "holding power". The weight of your fan has to be well within the magnetic capacity of the magnetic pads, with a good factor of safety.

I would forget the idea and use screw/bolt fixings.

Edited by yabbadoo, 20 September 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

I go with Yabbadoo, but magnetism and electronics isn't the problem - it's magnetism and magnetic recording sufaces, ie hard drives. You do  NOT want strong magnetic fields near hard drives, this is a good recipe for corrupted and / or lost data.

My wife used to have one of these little concertina type notebooks (writing notes, paper type) which was held together by a magnetised front and back plate. Just by being in her handbag, not in her purse, was sufficient to wipe the data on her bank cards. You know, that little  brown strip on the back ? Well, hard drives essentially are made of the same stuff.

Screws my friend, screws. Or if there is some reason you can't use screws, one of the very strong two part adhesives.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

@ Chris Cosgrove

"Screws my friend, screws. Or if there is some reason you can't use screws, one of the very strong two part adhesives."

Hi Chris,

You`ve hit on the perfect solution - SUPER GLUE ! You know, the stuff that sticks old ladies to bus seats.

Yabba

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

I super-glue my case fans.  Easy, neat, reliable.

Louis

#9 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

I super-glue my case fans.  Easy, neat, reliable.

Louis

Agreed. No magnets.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#10 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Another potential problem that I see with the magnets, is that they stand the fan off from the case, thus allowing some air to escape through those spaces, decreasing air flow efficiency.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

I go with Yabbadoo, but magnetism and electronics isn't the problem - it's magnetism and magnetic recording sufaces, ie hard drives. You do  NOT want strong magnetic fields near hard drives, this is a good recipe for corrupted and / or lost data.

My wife used to have one of these little concertina type notebooks (writing notes, paper type) which was held together by a magnetised front and back plate. Just by being in her handbag, not in her purse, was sufficient to wipe the data on her bank cards. You know, that little  brown strip on the back ? Well, hard drives essentially are made of the same stuff.

Screws my friend, screws. Or if there is some reason you can't use screws, one of the very strong two part adhesives.

Chris Cosgrove

Chris, I am not afraid of magnets wiping the hard drive. Have You ever opened a failed hard drive? There is a very strong magnet inside the drive case that is a part of the read/write head assembly. Most hard drives have adequate shielding.

The difference with Credit cards is that the stripe is exposed.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users