Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unlocking Core / Freezing on startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:46 AM

Board: MSI 970A-G45
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 960T (was told it's a Black Edition)

They made it sound so easy, almost fool proof. So I gave it a shot. Not so fool proof.

Like dummy, I tried using the OC Genie II to unlock a core. After I clicked "apply", then PC rebooted and froze "Starting Windows" screen.

Any ideas how to reverse what I just did?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2013 - 01:09 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

I've tried rebooting in safe mode, with prompts, normally, etc., but it freezes every time. If I choose to start Windows normally, it freezes at the Starting Windows screen.

The guy that I got the PC from gave me a disk titled "MSI MB Firmware and Software. Not sure if trying to run that will fix the issue, so I'll wait to get some input from a resident expert.

Thank you in advance.

#3 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Also, I didn't change any settings before attempting this. All I did was open the Control Center/OC Genie II, chose the Unlock CPU Core option, clicked one or two buttons to open a core (at least I think that's what I was trying to do), clicked apply, then clicked ok/yes when it prompted me to reboot. That's when it froze at the Starting Windows screen.

#4 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Fixed it myself.

Restarted computer while holding delete to enter setup menu. Pressed F6 to restore defaults. F10 to save and reboot.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Forgive my AMD ignorance, but exactly what core were you trying to unlock on a Phenom II X4 960T?  I am typing this on the wife's 3 core (unlocked 4th), but an X4 CPU should have everything already "unlocked".  Do you see 3 or 4 CPUs in Task Manager?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

The Phenom II X4 650T, Phenom II X4 840T, Phenom II X4 960T and Phenom II X4 970T are all six-core Thuban CPU's with two cores deactivated.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users