Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound being sent through Headphone Jack of HP Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Okay, so I am having an annoying problem involving the sound from my HP Pavilion dv7-4087cl laptop.  Yesterday, I noticed this happened after I had gotten a third-party replacement laptop battery charger for it.  That is probably unrelated information for this particular problem, but I mentioned it just in case.  

So anyways, I turned my computer on and put my external computer speakers in the headphone jack to listen to audio from a video.  I got no sound coming from the external speakers, but from the computer's built-in speakers instead.  I then tried plugging my headphones in to see if it would give a different result, but it did not.  Just in case, I plugged the external speakers to my phone and found that they played without a problem.  So then I checked to see if my headphones were hooked up to the computer.  They were.  I even performed a sound test on them which fed sound straight into the headphones as normal.  But when trying to use my computer's applications for sound, I would only get sound coming from the computer's built-in speakers.

I saw tips on restarting and thought that would it fix the problem.  Good news and bad news for this:

Good:  Sound fed through the headphone jack again, when testing it using my headphones and external speakers

Bad News:  W I simply closed the computer, which simply puts it on standby/off position, last night. I opened up the laptop tonight just now and found that it has returned to this faulty situation.

I need help getting my computer sound to work consistently again, without any forms of interference or the worry of it going out on me again.  I looked on the web about a problem like this, but I saw mixed results and situations not quite like mine.  Here, I feel that I can get that specific attention to this particular problem.  Hope to here from someone soon.  Thanks.

**update** Restarting seems to offset or resolve the problem.  But I used to be able to simply close my computer shut to turn it off and be able to lift it open and resume from standby mode of what I was doing without the sound not losing its feed to the headphone jack.

**update 2**  Right now when coming off of standby mode, the sound is feeding through the headphone jack and into both the external speakers and the headphones.  It has done so successfully the last 2 times today.  I will keep a watch over how it does ito the next day.

Running Windows 7 home premium (64-bit)

Edited by Miroku16, 20 September 2013 - 03:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

Try an audio driver reinstall or update. In sounds properties playback tab, there is a graphical green bar for external speakers/phones to confirm if there are sounds coming out while using media players. There are known instances of certain glitch/bugs coming from sleep mode resume due to power or loading previous applications running. Might as well disable this feature to check on the difference.

Tekken

#3 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

It is working now without the glitch happening.  Should I still try to update my audio driver or just leave it alone?  If I need to update it, then how would I go about doing so.  Just let me know if anything should be done at this moment in time.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#5 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

hahaha Okay. :)

Edited by Miroku16, 24 September 2013 - 11:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users