Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is MB Toast?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CantinaDeRecuerdos

CantinaDeRecuerdos

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hi;
I think I know what the answer is, but gotta ask it anyway. Got a friend's laptop that's 3-4 years old. First the keyboard stopped working, so he got an external one. Then he confirms there were "other problems". When he gave it to me, it wouldn't boot. Starts to boot Win 7 but never completes. I changed the BIOS boot sequence such that everything should boot before the HD, but when I put a bootable thumb drive in a working USB port, or a bootable DVD in the working DVD player, it doesn't recognize anything. This is even after pulling the HD! I don't have the tools to test, but I presume it's a pretty safe bet that the MB is toast. Your thoughts?
TIA,
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

Did you or has the BIOS ever been updated?

Have you tested the hard drive in another computer?

#3 CantinaDeRecuerdos

CantinaDeRecuerdos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

The BIOS has not been updated and I have not checked the HD on another computer. However, doing these things is not as easy as it was when I lived in the states. I am literally in the middle of a jungle in the foothills of the Himalaya mountains in India. I don't have the wherewithall to test the HD. I would have to go to town: a major undertaking. To update the BIOS, the computer would have to read media...and the computer is not reading media! This is the problem! Again, I have pulled the HD and am surprised it doesn't try to boot from the USB or DVD. Please advise.

John

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

#5 CantinaDeRecuerdos

CantinaDeRecuerdos
  • Topic Starter