Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot enable VT-x on i7 3770 chip Lenovo m72e

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hey guys,

Setting up VM's for testing but machine won't run 64bit systems because....

s3j51h.png

So I've updated the BIOS and run scores of utilities, but cannot find where to activate VT-x. I have confirmed it is not activated with one utility but it was unable to activate it. VMX is enabled, but nothing is forthcoming on this problem.

Host is 64bit Debian.

Anyone got any ideas??

please help.

edit: when I run the VMWare vt.iso I get the message

VT is disabled in the feature control MSR!

But this is clearly wrong with an i7 3770 chip..... or is it? I thought the MSR was processor specific, not mobo. :scratchhead:

edit edit: I just tried changing the MSR values with msr-tools... get the response.. CPU 0 cannot set MSR 0x0000003a to 0x0000000000000005 (needs a 5 value to enable VT-x)

this means I cannot enable it, in any way... so... oh well. Time to buy a different machine.

Edited by TsVk!, 19 September 2013 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

So, this is resolved (or unresolvable). Lenovo Thinkcenter series machines cannot virtualize 64 bit.    Buyer beware!

EDIT: So since the BIOS update there are new options in Advanced to enable it... Don't worry everyone. All good now :busy:

Edited by TsVk!, 19 September 2013 - 11:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users