Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen With Cursor OS WILL NOT BOOT

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I was having problems with my charger for a couple of weeks. I bought some cheap online charger that provided my computer with the wrong wattage. Eventually my battery became ruined due to this, but I bought a new one. However, my computer kept shutting off due to the lack of power. So it would completely shut off. This may have done some hard drive damage I suspect, since I cannot boot into OS anymore. I have tried another HDD and it seemed to work.

I'm trying to resolve the problem with my hard drive though. I plugged it into my other computer via usb and it seems fine. I am able to grab any files I need from it.  NOW as for my laptop, the PC turns on like normal. I get the bios screen. I get the Windows logo screen. Then I get a black screen with a mouse cursor in the middle.

I can move the mouse, but the buttons don't do anything--left or right click.  No keys on the keyboard change the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing. Windows key does nothing. Esc does nothing, etc. At this point the only option is to hold down the power button and turn it off.

What I've tried:

I tried to start it in safe mode, but the same thing happens. It shows the system files that are loading. The last file it shows loading is Windows/system32/DRIVERS/amdkmpfd.sys then it goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor again; only this time it is in safe mode resolution so the mouse cursor is larger and not as sharp. Also, no keyboard strokes have any affect just as with normal mode.

It is a Dell Inspiron, so it came with an onboard repair utility. I used the Startup Repair tool, but it found no problems. The diagnostics tools found no issues with the hard drive or any of the other major system components. 

It passes all other tests the onboard diagnostic utility has including, memory tests, fan tests, hard drive tests, etc.

I have not, however, tried a full system restore yet. From what I've read in several forums, many have tried this in similar situations and still had the same problem. Since there are several files I'd rather not lose, I wanted to explore all other avenues.

Sorry if this is a repeat question in the forum. Most of the other situations seemed similar, but there was always something they could do that I could not, like press Ctrl+Alt+Del or boot into safe mode or whatever.

Here is as much of the system info that I can gather without having the PC on (not mine, I'm doing this for a friend):

-Dell Inspiron (I think it's a 7520)

-AMD Athlon II X2

I hope I've been thorough enough to allow you to help me without wasting any of your time, and I thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

Windows repair disc may fix a broken startup like this... 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

amdkmpfd.sys is the graphics driver.

We will need you to positively identify what model the Inspiron is.  You should be able to find this on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

amdkmpfd.sys is the graphics driver.

We will need you to positively identify what model the Inspiron is.  You should be able to find this on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

I've verified that the model is Dell Inspirion 7520 15R SE. What resolution is there...

#5 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback... couldnt ask for any better!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

I apologize for not getting back sooner.

There is a service tag on the bottom of the computer.  

Go the Dell Support and enter the service tag information in the box provided and press Submit.

This will produce a list of download specific to your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I am moments away from reformatting my entire drive. How will I be able to reinstall the driver using BIOS /command prompt?

EDIT: Also, i'm not sure if the video driver is the problem. It only stalls on amdkmpfd.sys  for about 10 seconds, then it continues on to the black screen and cursor.

Edited by DomMartinelli, 22 September 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Let's do a repair installation before you reformat the hdd and lose all of your data.

In order to run the Repair installation for Windows 7 you will need an installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a ISO image at the Windows 7 Forums.  These ISO images are legal to download.  These images were hosted at the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  The images are untouched and genuine, the images are absolutely safe to download.  

***If you do have the Windows installation disc go to step 1. in the Windows 7 repair installation below.

You will need to burn the ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD, in order to do this I would suggest ImgBurn.

1)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

2)  Insert blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

3)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

In order to boot from the this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device and the hdd the second device.

***Windows 7 repair installation steps.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the optical drive and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take a couple of minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose  Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair the computer link on the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps45da5ec8.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take a few minutes.

No participation is required on your part, wait till it has finished and the next window will open.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then clinck on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

Several other diagnostic and recovery tools are available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution of some kind that you need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Starup Repair tool determines this it may automatcially run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you're still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

#9 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

I followed these steps and it attempted to repair the computer to no avail. What now?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Did you go on after step #9?

#11 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Yes, the repair was attempting to repair the issue for about 10 minutes, then it prompted me with being unable to fix it and asked if I wanted to send a report to microsoft or not. Then it just brought me back to the startup repair menu

I've tried to repeat this step, but now it's telling me it found nothing wrong.

Edited by DomMartinelli, 22 September 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#12 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

Anymore suggestions before I attempt to reformat?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users