Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen of death with flashing gray box

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 netcentricusa

netcentricusa

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

I run Vipre updated daily, Windows Security Essentials, and MalwareBytes (monthly) in an attempt to keep my system clean. My Windows Update is current.

Recently my local networking has slowed at random times and at times locked my system forcing a hard reboot. I checked the network troubleshooter and no problems were reported. I also checked for updated drives. None.

Today, I got a black box on the screen while I was downloading some software from SourceForge and it wouldn't go away. It had a small gray flashing box (cursor?) near the top left - almost like it was running a giant shell  script across my whole screen - but it didn't look like the standard Windows command window. This black box flashed at me a few times and so I immediately tried to get out of it - thinking I got some bad software that Vipre missed. I got back to my desktop and noticed this black box was still running down in the running applications bar. I right-clicked it to close it and it closed. Later today, when installing .net 2.0, I got the same thing... black box flashing dozens of times until the install of .net finished. I really thought it would bring my system down it was flashing so fast (black box then desktop, on and on).

So I just ran a quick scan of MalwareBytes as administrator and no sign of anything hinky. Vipre shows nothing in quarantine and no recent events. So, I'm wondering, given the network problems and now oddness with the black flashing screen, if I don't have a motherboard on the way out or something ugly invading my system. Anyway, I was hoping you would give me some peace and help me to figure out what's going on - if I have some stealthy malware or my PC is on the fritz.

Thanks for all you do. Look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by netcentricusa, 19 September 2013 - 07:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pieterw3

pieterw3

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Could you post a screen shot so whe can investigate further?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Running two antivurus programs...is known to cause problems in Windows.

I suggest that you uninstall either Viper or MSE.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users