Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent freezing in game unless bypass router completely - router question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shell01

shell01

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

We have a 2 month old Linksys EA4500 router.  My son plays online games and recently he has been experiencing intermittent freezing issues on Minecraft (although he plays other online games, this one seems to be the one with the problem).  The freezing occurs every few minutes and lasts for a few seconds at a time.  He was completely on wireless, so in an effort to isolate the problem we hard-wired him to the router - even then he was still experiencing the freezing issues.  So to circumvent the router completely we plugged his pc directly into the modem and the game ran much smoother with no freeze-ups.  This leads me to believe it may be a router issue.   My question:  Since he was not longer "wireless" when the cable was directly connected to the router and was STILL experiencing the issue, what non-wireless issue related to the router could be causing this problem?  And are there any router settings we could try to fix this, or do we need to resort to another router?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

During these freezes and intermittent loss of connections, was there anyone else using the internet as well?  I ask this, because routers have what is called a Network Address Table which remembers and monitors current connections.  If the NAT fills up, it can no longer remember or make new connections and this will result in a loss of networking until older connections drop off.  Think of it as a freeway, if the freeway is full to the point that no new traffic can enter what happens?

#3 shell01

shell01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hi and thanks for your response.  No one else was using the internet at the time, just him.  It's really strange - he's not getting loss of connection, just intermittently slow speeds and intermittent freezing, and it seems to be mostly confined to the one game, which unfortunately happens to be the game he plays most frequently.  I would think it had something to do with the game itself, except for the fact that when connected directly to the modem it was fine, freezing stopped.  Oh and also his Skype calls during these periods sometimes get poor quality and occasionally drop. Could there be another type of problem with the router?  As I said, directly connecting him to the router did not stop the issue. 

Edited by shell01, 19 September 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Can you head to http://www.speedtest.net and perform 3 speedtests and post the results here.

#5 shell01

shell01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hi, We have done many speedtest.net tests over the last month or so while on wireless.  When it runs well, it runs really well.  For example, tonight we are pinging about 10 and download speeds are around 23.  However, when it gets flaky I have seen ping in the hundreds and download speeds as low as 1.  Since the issue is intermittent we have to catch it while it's acting up, and then speed tests show crazy results from totally normal one minute, to extremely high ping and very low download speeds the next.    Sometimes it gets so bad speedtest doesn't even load.   I have had Comcast out here and of course they can't find any problems because it's never acting up when they are here. They check the signal, replaced inside & some outside wiring, and replaced the modem.  The technician was the one who suggested we bypass the router, which is where we are right now.  The only thing we are left with is the router or some flaky internet issue that they deny is happening.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Have you checked to see if there is an updated firmware for the router?  Just because the router is rather new does not mean that it has the latest firmware.

Also have you tried reseting the router?  There is a reset button on the back of the router that you press for about 15 seconds.  Note that when you reset, you will likely have to redo some of your settings including your WiFi network and password.

#7 shell01

shell01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

The firmware for the router is up-to-date.  Have not tried a router reset, but sounds like might be worth a shot.   After the reset, can I use the same network name and password, or will I have to change it?  (Not a problem to change it really, except changing it on the wireless printer when we got the new router was a royal pain).  Thanks.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hi,
The firmware for the router is up-to-date.  Have not tried a router reset, but sounds like might be worth a shot.   After the reset, can I use the same network name and password, or will I have to change it?  (Not a problem to change it really, except changing it on the wireless printer when we got the new router was a royal pain).  Thanks.

You can use the same WiFi SSID (aka name) and password. You likely will just have to setup it up again in the router settings as "custom" names and passwords typically get zapped with a router factory reset.

Let us know if it helps.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

When this issue arises, what is the weather outside?  I know it sounds like a funny question, but I used to have comcast. And lets just say whenever it would rain or snow is when my connection speed would drop severely and I would get extreme lag.

#10 shell01

shell01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

I thought of the weather issue too (once had a telephone landline that would get very staticy for days following a heavy rain.)  However, this freezing/poor performance seems to happen rain or shine, so in this case it doesn't appear to be weather-related.

I would look into other ISPs, but there is no choice but Comcast for high-speed internet where I live.  No competition puts us in a very poor position. 

Edited by shell01, 20 September 2013 - 07:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users