Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webroot SecureAnywhere, Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

I just recently bought a HP ENVY Touchsmart laptop model m7-j010dx with 4th gen I7-4700MQ (2.4 GHz) & 16Gb of RAM. I have been running Norton Internet Security for the last several years with excellent results. But I decided to go for the paid real time version of Malwarebytes. I love it as it has stopped many unsafe sites from loading. Problem is that Norton keeps sending me messages to uninstall Malwarebytes due to conflicts between the two. I'd rather leave Malwarebytes running real time and replace Norton if necessary. Best Buy suggested a copy of Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security that I have tried replacing NIS with. Webroot began to immediately pick up apparent false positives on 2 different occasions. They appeared to be false positives, uNorton NIS, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware all said they were good safe files. When Using Webroot to screen downloaded files in a split second with no processes checked. On other files checked it would stall right in the middle of checking the file and never finish. Webroot on demand screens were completed in 2.5 minutes (I can't believe this is really a comprehensive scan). My impression of Webroot is that it is the worst anti-virus software I have ever used and I have 0% faith in it. Since this is a new machine and I want to start out with a perfectly clean machine I did a 100% clean of all of the hard drive space then reloaded Windows 8 from the recovery directory on the hard drive. This time I loaded NIS instead of Webroot. I also reloaded Malwarebytes paid version real time protection. The results...Everything is running perfectly, no infections and no false positives, life is good :) Am I way off base here or is Webroot a piece of junk? I will need to resubscribe to NIS in 3 months and I am not sure if I should with the apparent conflict between NIS and Malwarebytes. My preference is to be able to continue with NIS and Malwarebytes without problems. The seem extremely effective. Comments/Opinions greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Are you seeing any actual conflicts between Norton and Malwarebytes or just getting messages?

There were some issues between Norton 360 and Malwarebytes posted these instructions in order to aid in compatibility.

If there are actual conflicts you can report this issue to the Malwarebytes Support Team, ask in the Support Forums or E-mail the Malwarebytes Support Help Desk so the development team can investigate.

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. I have read from other users that Symantec has improved the newer versions while others say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative.

I have never used Webroot but they have had a good reputation over the years.

For other alternatives, you may want to read Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

BTW, I'm moving this topic to a more appropriate forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

Just the warning pop ups.  I have run all my machines for years with hidden files and extensions visible if that makes any difference.  My older I3 machine does seem to be impacted by NIS resource consumption.  This machine has not had any infections what so ever in it's 3 years of life.  My I7 machine has lots of resouirces available so I don't notice any NIS slow downs.

I removed Norton from my machines a few years back when they were huge resource hogs.  The newer versions over the last few years are vastly improved.  I must  be lucky as I have never had an issue with Nortons uninstall program.

I am curious if there are any strong supporters of Webroot that have not had false positives, freeze up or other problems?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

If you are only getting warnings and no actual conflicts then just add MBAM's files to Norton's Auto-Protect Exclusions and see if that stops the messages.

#5 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

Quietman,

As always thank you so much for taking the time to help us out.

If I place the M'BAM's files to Norton auto-protect can you help tell me which ones should be moved to M'BAM.

Thanks!

Randy

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

These are typically the files in various operating systems which can be added to your anti-virus exclusion list when experiencing issues using the Pro version of Malwarebytes.

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

You may need to check your anti-virus user manual for specific instructions on how to add files to the exclusion list if not familiar with adding files. Most anti-virus vendors post user manuals on their web site which can be downloaded and saved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users