Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I save my old computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 outermongolia

outermongolia

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

I know it's old, but I come from the "Use it up, wear it out" kind of family and really want to rescue this piece of garbage. HP Support informed me it's too old and they no longer have the Recovery Disks for my Pavilion DV 9700. Any suggestions? I've a lot of experience with installing Windows XP from DOS prompt. Already reformatted this thing back to factory settings enough times to know the malware is too imbedded. I'd hate to have to take it out back and bury it next to our dog.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

If...you are asking what to do with an infected computer with age...but still works...the easy answer is do a clean install/restore to factory defaults.

If...you are saying that you consistently infect your computer via your computing habits...I would say that the infection pattern is likely to continue...unless you change your habits...regardless of what system you happen to be working on.

If...you think that the system is infected and you want to try to clean it...you should initiate a topic in BC's Am I Infected forum,

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

You can download a legal copy of Vista Premium here.  This includes SP1, so you will need to install SP2.

This download is hosted on Digital River, an official distribution partner of Microsoft.

If your version is the 32-bit you will want to download the X14-63452.exe file.

If your version is the 64-bit you will want to download the X12-63453.exe file.

You will need to burn this file to a DVD.  In order to do this following the instructions below.

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 outermongolia

outermongolia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Yes! Thank you both for the replies. No, it's not my bad surfing habits that got me into trouble. It was a couple of family members who insisted we were secure on our Wi-Fi. I know better from now on. It was a really bad infection with rootkits, bagel worms and all. I used every antimalware program known to techies online, but all it did was learn from each attempt. Interesting experience, and not one I want to do again.

I was caught offguard and hadn't made any rescue disks, so the info dc3 just posted should save me months of wandering. Thank you very much!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Simply backing up the system routinely...is a better safeguard, IMO, than having rescue disks and such.  A rescue disk won't be of any value if the problem relates to hardware or a damaged file system, since these two tiems are the foundation on which all files lie.  A backup can be restored to a different hard drive placed in the same system...a rescue disk won't be of much use.

It's like System Restore...good tool when it works and when the user is able to boot into Windows...inferior to a backup in most circumstances, IMO.

Louis

#6 outermongolia

outermongolia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

I agree about backing up. Whenever anyone mentions backing up, I tend to ignore them, since I assume they're meaning miscellaneous files. I keep nothing of any use on these computers. Everything goes to flash drive or CD, or even hard copy. I don't even trust the "cloud". I'm still cussing myself out for not having the basic Windows backed up though. Oh well, live and learn. The laptop that I'm using right now is also a hand-me-down from my son. It has Windows 7 on it, which I hate, but it's better than nothing. At least the sound works. that was the first sign that the other computer was in trouble: the dreaded red "X" over the speaker icon. Well, we'll get to doing all this fun stuff tomorrow. Hopefully, all will work and I'll be back here again for helpful hints rather than life-saving. Sorry for the lengthy posts. I talk like this also...forever and ever.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

LOL, it's OK, I wander down that path often myself :).

Louis

#8 outermongolia

outermongolia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Well, I'm going to do it today, clean install. Now, just to make sure something isn't already amiss, I tried to follow your instructions, dc3, and it didn't quite interpret the same on this HP. The website you supplied the link to calls it "Vista Ultimate" instead of "Vista Premium". Does that matter? And is that considered an upgrade or does that make any difference if doing a clean install? Also, the "ImgBurn" program wouldn't do the steps as you had listed on this HP, but all I had to do was move the downloaded exe file to the desktop then drag it over to the ImgBurn page and it loaded, just like Media Player does. BTW, my apologies to you all if I don't use proper terminology. This is all from being self-taught.

Now, before I wipe out the nasties and everything else on this computer, please let me know if I'm doing this right. No files should be backed up, right? We're treating the entire computer, since the malware has infected everything. I'm not really sure about the partition, Drive D. If I do a reformat, is the CD with the three files on it all I need? I couldn't tell from the instructions whether to download just the .exe file or all three, so I'm downloading all of them.

I hate this, you know. It was fun fighting nasties at first, but it does get old after a while.

I'll stall off for a little bit before turning on the little HP. It's not as if we're dead in the water without it. Getting it to work would just be a really cool thing to brag about, that's all. Besides, if they won't let me use Windows XP, then Vista is ok...my other son has me almost convinced to go for a Mac though.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

These distro's contain the following versions of Vista:  Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, Home Basic N, Business N.

This is not a upgrade.

You should backup all of your important data on a removable form of media, CDs, DVDs, flash drives, external hdd, etc.

You want the Install.wim.

I would suggest that you use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the entire hdd before installing the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users