Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus that reverts computer to factory settings?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MarinesB

MarinesB

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm not sure if I actually do have a virus but the strangest thing happened to my laptop yesterday. I have a Qosmio Toshiba x775 laptop with Windows 7. Earlier in the day I had updated Adobe Air and Firefox. I shut the computer down and rebooted a few hours later. While waiting for the login screen I see a message that says something like "Preparing your desktop." When I'm finally able to login my computer had reverted back to factory settings, or almost. All my programs seemed to be there but all my docs, pictures, etc. were gone, vanished to who knows where. My desktop only had the recycle bin on it and the original Toshiba wallpaper. As far as I could tell I was logged into my one and only account.

After looking for info on the web to figure out what the hell was going on I just decided to reboot to see if that cleared everything up. It did. My laptop was back to normal and continues to boot just fine. Does anyone have any idea if there is a virus that would do such a thing or if there is something wrong with my laptop. It seems fine now but that was just so bizarre. I felt like I'd been to the Twilight Zone and back. LOL

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users