Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 File Type Helper EXE will not lauch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 preid0gr

preid0gr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

I searched and could not find a good match for this issue so I started another one.  I was lead here by this link...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/442881/windows-7-exe-files-wont-open-no-error-message/

I have a Windows 7 computer that when it boots either in safe mode or normal, every exe file or com file that attempts to load, the File Type Helper box appears. I have tried with different users and new users.

When I rename an EXE file to COM I get the same results.

I can for some reason run iexplorer.exe, but once on a web page if I attempt to down load an EXE file, I get the same results. The computer has malwarebytes installed and I can update it, but I can't run a scan.

Looking for suggestions before I reimage the computer.

Let me know what other details you might need.

Preston

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

try this:

1. go to start-search REGEDIT and hit enter

2 go to Hkey current user>software>microsoft>windows>current version>explorer>file exts>.lnk

3 under that,delete the file userchoice

3. Restart your system

4. See if problem is resolved.

Note: Above was copied and pasted from a post by Chrisd87

If regedit does not open, try:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/59497-can-not-open-exe-files.html

If that fails, try:

1. Go to start > Default programs

2. Click "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program"

3. Scroll to .exe, if you find it then you may have to restore your laptop, it should not be in that list.

There are more troubleshooting steps that could be performed, this is just the easiest way IMO.

Edited by wing987, 19 September 2013 - 04:52 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 preid0gr

preid0gr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the information.

I could not launch the registry editor to work on the key listed. I was however able to go to that url and down load the exe reg file and merge it. That so far has fixed my issue.

Thank you for the help.

Preston

#4 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

preid0gr, this problem many times results from a botched removal of malware. 
A good fix tool would reset the file associations while it was about its business.  If this is what happened, would you mind telling what program you used?

From your description, you probably should go back to sevenforums and get the fix for the COM association as well.  If it's not needed, it won't hurt to run it.

#5 preid0gr

preid0gr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

I am not sure what happened to the computer. This is a neighbors and I was called in well after the damage was done.

I agree, I will run the com fix as well. Need one that does them all.

thanks.

Preston

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users