Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps shutting off normally after reaching desktop and restarting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Clayz

Clayz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hello! I've been having major problems with my computer this morning and it all started the moment I tried to open Microsoft Word. I got an error and next thing I know my computer just restarts on its own and the moment it reached the desktop on startup it just shuts down again and keeps restarting over and over. I am able to use Safe Mode and am only able to post here because I'm using safe mode with networking. I'm led to believe that this is a driver issue or something of that sort because I scanned with Malwarebytes and found nothing and used Vipre antivirus to no avail. I than used CC Cleaner and it found 2500 registry errors, which is abnormally large. It deleted those errors and than cleaned my cookies but none of this helped. I ran a boot log and the ntbtlog.txt gave me a lot of "Did Not Load Driver". I think the issue was caused when my SSD C:\ drive got full as it only has a few GB of space and I moved the Program Files (x86) to my other harddrive in F:\, which for some reason I cannot access from safemode. I would really appreciate the assistance.

Edit: I just used msconfig to run the diagnostic startup and that worked out fine, so I then used selective startup and only checkmarked "Load system services" and that also worked and allowed me to post here. However, when I try to checkmark anything else like "load startup items" the computer attempts to reset all over again.

Attached File  ntbtlog.txt   146.67KB   4 downloads

Edited by Clayz, 19 September 2013 - 12:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

I moved the Program Files (x86) to my other harddrive

I believe this is where your problem started. It is my understanding (in other words, I am willing for someone else to tell me I am tallking out of my hat !) that you cannot just 'move' progam files and folders around like this. You can have an application running in a different drive to the drive you have your Windows on, but it has to be installed there, not just 'moved' there. But you are correct - you need at least 10 - 15% free capacity on your Windows drive to allow iWiindows to work correctly.

First things first, since you can run in 'Safe mode', back up your data before you do anything else - your work, music, photos, videos, etc..

Then, is there anything else you can move out of your SSD other than Windows and program files ? If yes, then do so. After that, consider re-installing your applications back into the SSD.

If not, then consider installing your applications into the 'F' drive. Yes, it is at least largely tied up with your registry. The registry needs to know, among many other things, the paths to your applications, and moving them breaks the link, which is why your registry cleaner found so many faults !

On that subject, the use of registry cleaners is strongly discouraged on BC, see this topic :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508265/using-more-then-one-registry-cleaner/

You may be lucky and get away with merely re-insstalling your applications, but I suspect you may be looking at a complete re-install. I would suggest waiting a day or two to see if anybody disagrees with me !

Sorry I can't be more positive !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Chris is %100.

Unless you made a registry backup before you did that registry clean, you have broken your Windows programs installations.

Re-install Windows time, I would think as well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users