Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word and Excel Files open to File Conversion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Ortiz

Mike Ortiz

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

This is kinda weird.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Data files, Word and Excel, on the Windows 2003 server will not open correctly.  They were created in Office 2003, and when you try to open them from Work Stations, it opens the File Conversion Wizard asking which format to use. 

It does this on my laptop as well, even if I copy the file to a Thumb Drive, using Office 2013.  I can create new files, and they work fine.  I can open local files on the workstations, without issue, but any files that were on the server prior to yesterday morning, will not open.  So far the Virus Scans I’ve run on the server have been clean.

We have not done any kind of Upgrade to Microsoft Office, so that doesn't have anything to do with it.

No other Office software like Works or Word Perfect have ever been used at this site.  

Files were working fine prior to yesterday.  Oddly enough, the backup on an external HD, also seems to be effected.

It seems like a virus right? 

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

I know your post is a few months old, Sorry it went unanswered. Did you solve the problem yet?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Mike Ortiz

Mike Ortiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:11 AM

Sorry for the delay, but I have not been on bleeping computer for a while.  Yes, it was a Cryptolocker infection actually.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users