Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Sort Multiple Selections By Value

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:28 AM

I am trying to analyze fuel cost for my vehicles and wondering if I can sort each vehicles' transactions by date.

I have been doing this for a few months now and have been sorting each vehicle separately and now, after spending 5 hours a month on this SS I was wondering if I can sort each vehicle by date at the same time.

So ... can I prompt excel to sort by date, per vehicle (while expanding the selection to include all of the data?)?

My Columns are:
Vehicle ID/Vehicle #/Trans Date/Days Between Fill/Odomoter/Mileage per tank/Product/PPG/Net Fuel/MPG/$CPM

And I would like to set excel up so that it sorts transactions by date for that vehicle only.

It was okay to do this manually (sort ascending, per vehicle) for the first few months, but now, doing this every single month for 41 vehicles is growing old. Does this have to be done manually (one vehicle at a time)?

Thanks!

Edited by Serenity Now, 26 April 2006 - 11:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

Yes you can do it. No need to sort sections 41 times. Sort it all at one time.

Let's assume VehicleID in Column A, TransDate in Column C. Also assume that the data is continuous - no blank rows, just goes on and on and on. (Blank rows or columns are poison to most good work in Excel).
Now do Data > Sort > to sort by three values, so on the first line select Column A, on the second line select Column C (check/uncheck Table has headings box at the bottom). You will end up with a list in sequence of vehicles, and within each vehicle it'll be sorted by date. Throw in vehicle# on the third row if you wish.

This further assumes you have no extraneous data anywhere above or below your table.
This restriction can be lifted and a better system would name the entire table, Create names in Top Column (Insert > create names) of the selected range, then you can sort by column name rather then A, B, C.

Should you have a need to sort on, say 6 columns, then just combine some in "work" columns which you can hide when not needed (format > column > hide)

#3 Serenity Now

Serenity Now
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:55 AM

This is just a shameless bump to say thanks.

Your help and this advice saved me hours. This spreadsheet, which I was spending 4-5 hours on, was done this month in less then one.

Sorting the data has been the most time consuming part of this spread sheet and now having that done all, instantly, and at the start allowed me to spend the remaining 40 minutes on the simple calculations.

Thanks and GB

:thumbsup:

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

You're very welcome, BUT ...
How much data do you have in that spreadsheet? I've never seen a sort take anything near an hour which your post implies. Normally sorts take seconds. So share it with us: number of rows and number of columns, please :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users