Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

remove ask.com from Mozilla

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jeffpark

jeffpark

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

I need to remove ask.com from mozilla on my laptop. Ask.com is not in my installed programmes; if i go to the  search engines tab at top right it is not there. I have uninstalled & reinstalled mozilla & it is still there. How do I get rid of dreaded ask forever? Please please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Have you went to Tools-Addons. Look in the extensions section and plugins section for anything related to ask. If found, you can simply disable or uninstall from the addons page. If it's not listed there, then we can continue on with other options.

Edited by chrisd87, 19 September 2013 - 08:46 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Be aware, if you use Avira Antivirus it uses the Ask toolbar as part of the web browsing protection, and disabling the toolbar will disable that protection.  It may not be the only one doing so.

#4 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

You stated my problem exactly.  Go to support.mozilla.org and there you'll find How to set your home page for Firefox.  Good luck.

Edited by MissLizz, 20 September 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#5 jeffpark

jeffpark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

Hi all - many thanks for the responses! Meanwhile Eric from Ask has responded directly with how to do this from both Mozilla and Chrome - (Eric@ask.com)

Jeff

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Good morning Jeff.

When you wrote "Eric from Ask has responded directly with how to do this from both Mozilla and Chrome" what exactly did you mean?

Would you please let us know what Eric wrote in regard to resolving this issue?

If you found an answer, then by posting it here you could help others who may be having the same issue.

Thanks.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

I have just found the most concise illustrated means of removing ask.com.  Go to www.wintips.org/remove-ask-ask-toolbar-from-computer and you will find instructions (illustrated) for XP, Vista, all of them. 

#8 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Don't know why previous message failed to put "computer" in blue to complete the link, but it should have.

#9 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

I downloaded and installed Firefoxdirectly from Mozilla.org and got it without the ask.com add-on.  The add-on came when I used a different site (and then uninstalled it because of ask.com).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users