Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! :/ need to get rid of windows..i think?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oel26

oel26

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:17 AM

Hi all,

Again, sorry for being such  a newb.

Anyways, Im currently running Ubuntu 12.04, and its more or less working fine. However, I installed Ubuntu after completely f*cking up my Win 7 regisrtry by attempting to remove a rootkit myself...stupid, i know...well anyways, I now have a functional computer running Ubuntu, but like 3/4 of my HD is filled with Win 7 junk thats absolutely useless at this point as far as I can tetll.

So, is there any way to quickly tell if my Win7 I bought is salvagable, even if all data is lost?

If not, whats the best way to get windows off my HD completely, considering I didnt make seperate partitions?

Or, might it be better to just swap my internal HD with a wiped $25 refurb, and install Ubuntu on there and start from scratch?

Any advice is appreciated, and Ill gladly provide more details if asked.

ALSO, any valuable advice will be rewarded with $ donation/tips via PP

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

Hi,

When you nuked Windows, did you lose all your docs, pics etc or did you have backups?

To see what's where on your hard drive could you post the output of Gparted (Ubuntu partition tool)? That info will help people guide you.

Richard.

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

oel26 said -- " . . . like 3/4 of my HD is filled with Win 7 junk thats absolutely useless at this point as far as I can tetll.

So, is there any way to quickly tell if my Win7 I bought is salvagable, even if all data is lost?

If not, whats the best way to get windows off my HD completely, considering I didnt make seperate partitions?. . ."

With a LiveCD such as Puppy Slacko 5.5 ( http://01micko.com/slacko5.5/download.html ) one is able to mount partitions and drives, examine their contents, and backup the data found onto either CD or USB.  Since no partitions were made, and by your description it appears a 'buntu was installed on top of Win7, and you have not responded to the Richard S request for more detailed info, I would suggest Windows is not salvageable on the hard drive in question.

In this case the way I prefer to "get windows off my HD completely" is to first download SystemRescueCD , burn it to CD at no more than 8X, boot my computer to cdrom drive by entering the BIOS at startup and changing the Boot Priority, and use SysRescCD in one of two ways to accomplish this task. 

Either use Duke Nukem (I think one has to hit F2 somewhere during the bootup of SysRescCD) or entering a dd command to wipe the drive with zeroes.  For the latter, just hit Enter a few times to choose default until reaching the page with a multi-colored prompt that asks user to choose to enter either "startx" or "wizard" or such like.  At the prompt, type in  

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync

and <Enter>.  The process of wiping a hard drive with zeroes takes some time, depending on hardware capabilities and hard drive size, so go watch a movie or go to bed for the night with it running.  It would be best to make sure the hard drive stays cooled during the wiping, as it will get hot if it is the old stylus and platter style SATA, ATA, or IDE hard drive. When finished, you will see three or four lines beginning with "no more space on device. . ." and ending with the size of your hard drive in parentheses.  
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync

When the wipe is finished, do not remove the CD or turn the computer off,  First type the desired "startx" at the multi-colored prompt and then, in the yellow-colored terminal window, type "gparted".  Patition your hard drive into the suggested 20GB root ( / ), a 2-4GB swap and the /home partition may be as large as the remaining hard drive space, if desired.  

Best wishes!   

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users