Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking advice- rebuilding my Asus K501 laptop or building a new home servero

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oel26

oel26

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:04 AM

Probably a newb question, so sorry in advance. Currantly have a standard wireless setup at my house provided via the local phone co. It works okay, but Im beginning to have more and more issues with my PC.

I have an Asus K50I, 4gb ddr2, 360 gb HD(?) Pentium dual core, etc. pretty stabdard stuff. Well the hardware has lasted great for3+ years and is still going strong, but I've done a real number on my Win 7. Got a secod rootkit on it sometime in 2012 I think, and instead iof coming here, I tried to fix myself....

Long story short, I only made it worse, deleted things i shouldnt have, and really messed up the registry. Since then, Ive only been able to use my laptop with Ubuntu 12.04, while 3/4 of my HD has remained obsolete due to the hack job i performed on Windows...

SO, Id like any advice or suggestions with regards to how i might proceed.  Is it possible I might be able to restore my copy of Win 7 without buying another OS? (95% of my data really isnt significant, so Im not to concerned with losing data) Would anyone be able to tell if it would be worth attempting to salvage, or should I just stick a newinternal HD in, and start fresh with a new OS(im thininking Ubuntu, XP, maybe 7)

Also, Im cnsidering setting up a hiome server if I can determine it would be advantagious. Currently have my PC(very active, lots of media, 12-18hours/day) a roku box in another room running 12 hours a day, and  2 other lowend laptops that arent used often, but Im looking to use remote access more often, so mabe a home servor is a smart option? I really dont know though

If you think yu could help, have any advice, or could point me toards any other forum for more help, Id greatly appreciate it.

And again, Im more than happy to compensate well thought out advice with PP donations, so yeah...hit me up? Also Id be more than happy to provide more details upon request.

Thanks!

OEL

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2013 - 10:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

If you have the Windows 7 discs, you can do a reinstall of the OS.  That would be the best, least expensive option.  You can also do a home server if you have a low-end, and preferably low-power consuming, device that just serves files.  Many people repurpose old PC's just for that.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users