Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo computers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 danar

danar

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Are lenovo desktop computers good and reliable? I have a HP, but I'm really disappointed that its broken down 2X in five years.

I've never heard of Lenovo before, but then that didn't mean much for HP quality. I've just read about Lenovo on consumsearch for the first time and I'm a total computer noob:

http://www.consumersearch.com/desktop-computers/best-desktop-computers

I bought the HP last time because it was one of the recommened computers by consumersearch, but I want to verify this time so I won't get another lemon. What do yo think of the Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p "tiny" and  Lenovo H520?

The Dell Alienware X51 was listed as their best desktop computer, but I'm not going to be gaming on my computer. I'm going to be surfing the web, and watching movies and stuff like that on my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

For what its worth, I worked for a Lenovo Authorized Service Provider in the past, Toshiba too.

I have Acer, and Toshiba for laptops. This computer I'm on here is a Lenovo All-In-One.

All-In-Ones have Pluses and Minuses.

Minuses

Any part goes bad everything needs to go for repair.

The Only way to add extra drives is externally.

Pluses.

If You get one with a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse You only have one Power wire on the desktop, No clutter

This one uses a 120watt power supply so it is cheaper to run.

In my opinion do not buy any slimline or small form factor desktops, they appear to run hotter and that does have an impact on longevity.

personal opinion is get a Intel CPU vs the AMD CPU.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

I personally like Lenovo computers and would buy one. Not sure how you never heard of Lenovo, they bought out IBM. But at my retail job we get a lot of computers in to fix and Lenovo is probably one of the least amount we get. If someone ever returns one, there is usually nothing wrong with it at all. Most returns are because people dont like Windows 8. There are many brands that I wouldnt buy, but Lenovo is not one of them.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#4 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

I have mixed feelings about Lenovo at this point because, in my particular case, they have not responded to my many requests for a bios update to fix an issue when attempting to upgrade my B575 laptop to Windows 8 or 8.1. This laptop came with Windows 7 installed; however, a documented bios issue is keeping the average user from successfully upgrading the B575. However, I was able to come up with a workaround to get 8.1 installed and my workaround was even acknowledged by the Lenovo staff as "great info"; however, they never followed up with a bios update to correct the issue. Now, rather than retyping the issues here, you can read the full text of my concerns (and the workaround) at the Lenovo site:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/Lenovo-B575-Update-to-Windows-8-Issue/td-p/1167841

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/How-to-Install-Windows-8-1-Preview-on-a-Lenovo-B575/td-p/1205806

I guess my point is that Lenovo support doesn't seem to be all that responsive to user issues after the sale. Good luck.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

I cant wait till it is time for me to buy a new lap top, because when it happens I will get me an Lenovo.  I had a work issued one from when I worked with IBM and I loved it.  To bad I had to send it back.  No more Dell lap tops for me.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

As cryptodan I had a company issued Thinkpad for a while, I have no fear of Lenovo. In fact I'm on one of their All-in-Ones right now that I bought a couple of months ago at Staples.

I have mixed feelings about Lenovo at this point because, in my particular case, they have not responded to my many requests for a bios update to fix an issue when attempting to upgrade my B575 laptop to Windows 8 or 8.1. This laptop came with Windows 7 installed; however, a documented bios issue is keeping the average user from successfully upgrading the B575. However, I was able to come up with a workaround to get 8.1 installed and my workaround was even acknowledged by the Lenovo staff as "great info"; however, they never followed up with a bios update to correct the issue. Now, rather than retyping the issues here, you can read the full text of my concerns (and the workaround) at the Lenovo site:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/Lenovo-B575-Update-to-Windows-8-Issue/td-p/1167841

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/How-to-Install-Windows-8-1-Preview-on-a-Lenovo-B575/td-p/1205806

I guess my point is that Lenovo support doesn't seem to be all that responsive to user issues after the sale. Good luck.

I suspect that their point would be that they sold it with Windows 7 and It works flawlessly with Windows 7.

From what I've seen that is not and uncommon stance to take from manufacturers. I've seen Dell be that way too. Although You want a BIOS update for Windows 8.1 use I suspect that You are in a minority of users. Most computer users are quite happy with them the way they buy them and on a small minority change things.

Any BIOS upgrade has to be tested thoroughly for compatibility with released software and drivers.

You would be unhappy if they released a BIOS that Bricked your laptop. Apple had that problem with the latest AppleTv upgrade. As happened here.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/22/apple-tv-6-0-quietly-pulled-following-bricked-updates/

users on Twitter have been reporting connectivity issues and accidental resets throughout the weekend. An unlucky few even saw their devices bricked entirely.

On the Other hand When Windows 7 was released Toshiba released upgrade instructions and drivers / Utilities for many of their newer laptops. I had a Toshiba laptop that Had Vista Business or I could do a one time recovery to Windows XP if I so desired. It came with a recovery disk for XP that wiped out the Vista Recovery partition and installed a XP recovery partition instead.

I'm not sure about Windows 8, However Since Windows 7 is so similar I won't be bothering anyway.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 September 2013 - 08:38 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

Let me be a little more clear about my thoughts on Lenovo support:

Now, since they jury-rigged my Lenovo B575 (EFI capable) BIOS to work as a Legacy BIOS, and locked down all features and views, I could not determine whether or not it was capable of dual-channel memory operation. So, I contacted Lenovo support and they could not answer the question; period. I also contacted them at a different time and asked where one could download the original BIOS just in case it would be needed for a re-flash. Their answer was you can only get it via a paid support channel. Now, how many other manufacturer's do not offer access to the original BIOS and force you to pay? Anyway, please do not offer me any advice on how to deal with this issue because I have already done so.

Also, I just would like to comment about a few statements that were made in reference to my previous post:

I suspect that their point would be that they sold it with Windows 7 and It works flawlessly with Windows 7.

Yes, and that is exactly what I stated in one of my linked threads.

Although You want a BIOS update for Windows 8.1 use I suspect that You are in a minority of users.

The BIOS update has nothing specifically to do with Windows 8 or 8.1; however, it has everything to do with the ability to install any other OS that has the capability to do either an EFI or Legacy install. This issue also effects one's ability to install the latest versions of Ubuntu. So, if you go back and read my linked threads entirely, you will see some of the other operating systems that are affected by this issue.

You would be unhappy if they released a BIOS that Bricked your laptop.

What does the above have to do with anything? What manufacturer would release a BIOS update that would brick my laptop? I thought they had a test sequence that needed to be completed before they generally release it to the public? Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack...

I'm not sure about Windows 8, However Since Windows 7 is so similar I won't be bothering anyway.

Nothing could be further from the truth than the above and I'll leave it at that.

In closing, I can only say that I am expressing my opinions based on my experience and there is no need to dissect my opinions any further so please help the OP by expressing your own opinion based on your own "unique" experience with Lenovo. Cheers!

Edited by myopinion, 26 September 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

It has been my professional experience regardless of computer, that there maybe times when you must upgrade the BIOS to perform any type of operating system install or upgrade. For instance, when I had Windows XP and went to upgrade to SP1 I instantly received a blue screen of death, and I couldn't figure out why this happened.  It had happened because SP1 introduced new ways to access this BIOS and by BIOS was unable to communicate back to my operating system.  I flashed my BIOS and that gave me the much needed support to continue using XP beyond Service Pack 1.  Also per Lenovo's support pages for your lap top it strictly dictates that it only supports single channel memory.

So I think your opinion is a bit off key and I will defend Lenovo, because they are high quality machines for work and play.

People have to put food on the table, and that is how it works in this world.

It would also appear that you purchased a designed for Windows 7 Only Computer which a lot of OEM's do, so it would appear to me that a bit more shopping and research should have been.

See this forum post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/Lenovo-B575-Update-to-Windows-8-Issue/td-p/1167841

Edited by cryptodan, 26 September 2013 - 06:19 AM.

#9 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

Hi cryptodan,

First off, I asked for subsequent posts to be targeted at the OPs question and not my responses; however, I guess that went by the wayside. Anyway, don't be fooled by the fact that I only have two posts in this forum because I have a great deal of experience in resolving PC issues (just like you). 

With that said, I will make reference to a few of your statements with my comments:

It has been my professional experience regardless of computer, that there maybe times when you must upgrade the BIOS to perform any type of operating system install or upgrade.

So, you are confirming that BIOS updates are a routine process to correct inherent and/or undiscovered issues?

And then you go on to say: 

So I think your opinion is a bit off key and I will defend Lenovo, because they are high quality machines for work and play.

There is nothing off-key about providing the original BIOS for download and/or taking corrective action to fix an issue. Now, if you read through both of MY posts at the Lenovo site, you'll see that Serene Lenovo (Lenovo Staff) specifically responded to my concern (and workaround) with "Great stuff you have here. Thanks for sharing your experience." So, if Lenovo Staff takes the time to acknowledge my concerns, then what does that tell you?

And then you make this profound statement:

It would also appear that you purchased a designed for Windows 7 Only Computer which a lot of OEM's do

Oh really? OK then show me one example of an OEM PC that clearly indicates this PC/laptop is designed for "Windows 7 only and will not be upgradable." And, if you can, please show me where that specifically was advertised for the B575 so I can agree with you on that issue. 

And you finish the above sentence with:

so it would appear to me that a bit more shopping and research should have been.

And to that I say, I await your response to my previous request.

And then you finally provide a reference link to an issue that I already provided a link to in this same post:

See this forum post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/Lenovo-B575-Update-to-Windows-8-Issue/td-p/1167841

Just for your information, that is MY post at the Lenovo website and, as stated previously, it was already provided.

In summary, I was not trying to bash Lenovo. In fact, I was just trying to give a few examples of my experience in dealing with Lenovo support; however, it seems that all subsequent responses are intended to either discredit my experiences and/or question my technical abilities regarding same. Again, I think the OP would be better served when individuals provide specific encounters with Lenovo support and, whether or not, they were happy with the results. 

Edited by myopinion, 26 September 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

From Lenovo's Windows 8 Upgrade or Compatible List for your Lap top:

Lenovo B, E, K, M and V Series Notebook
  • Lenovo B Series
    B475e, B480, B490, B575e, B580, B590
  • Lenovo E Series
    E47A, E47G, E49
  • Lenovo K Series
    K27, K29, K47A, K49
  • Lenovo M Series
    M490, M495
  • Lenovo V Series / 3000 V Series
    V480, V480c, V480s, V490u, V570, V580, V580c

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/detail.page?DocID=HT074688

Support document stating about how to make sure that your Computer is ready for Windows 8 Upgrade.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT074809

#11 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

Sorry friend, but those references were posted "after" I bought the laptop. I bought the laptop "before" Windows 8 was available. Still waiting for your answers to my questions regarding my pre-shopping/purchase diligence. Specifically, I want to see any advisory that clearly indicates that my laptop was designed for Window 7 only and it will not be upgradable to any other future OS including Ubuntu 13.04 which also doesn't work. 

Edited by myopinion, 26 September 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#12 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

One more thing for the OPs consideration is the noticeable conflict in supporting data provided by Lenovo. Specifically, their post-purchase advisements (as provided by cryptodan) clearly indicates they will not be supporting any upgrade of the B575 to Windows 8; however, their driver download page conflicts with their stated intentions; in that, they show Windows 8 drivers available for some of the hardware generically installed on the B575. So, to that I say 'who's on first; third base?"

Anyway, my direct apologies to the OP for how my simple example, of my own experience with Lenovo, turned out to monopolize the responses to you question. And, I do thank all who replied to my direct example of my experience with the additional commentary as well. With that said, I will not post anything additional to this thread and hopefully you can get back on track with making your own purchase decision. BTW, here are the Win 7 (and some Win 8) drivers listed for download. Cheers and good luck!

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT073111

#13 danar

danar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

But at my retail job we get a lot of computers in to fix and Lenovo is probably one of the least amount we get. If someone ever returns one, there is usually nothing wrong with it at all. Most returns are because people dont like Windows 8. There are many brands that I wouldnt buy, but Lenovo is not one of them.

Specifically, what brands would you not buy?

And, is it possible that the reason there aren't a lot of Lenovo that need to get repaired is because there are less Lenovos that get sold and therefore less Lenovos that need to be repaired?

If two computer brands have the same rate of problems but brand X is way more popular than brand Y, then we'd hear a lot more complaints and stories about brand X computers breaking down even if it has the same rate of problems as brand Y.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Lenovo sells a lot of computers to businesses as does Dell.

Lenovo, Dell and Toshiba all have good repair networks.

I own Toshiba and Acer laptops. The Acer is because it gets used twice a month and was really inexpensive. I Own a Lenovo All-In-One desktop and a purpose built, self built desktop that uses my preferred brand of Motherboard, Asus.

For example: http://www.squaretrade.com/laptop-reliability-1109/

A interesting read here http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

ASUS and Toshiba come out on top. With 3 year malfunction rates forecast to be under 16%, laptops
from these two manufacturers..............

Lenovo was not the top of the list, However I chose them based on availability of their service network and their willingness to provide driver updates and Service manuals. As well as the fact that I had experience with the service network when I worked for a Authorized Service provider for them and Toshiba.

The Lenovo training and testing was thorough and tough. Not quickie courses. You had to pass the training for a product before you were authorized to service it. By comparison Toshiba, and Okidata were a breeze. Lenovo was also the only brand I never had to wait for out of stock parts.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

But at my retail job we get a lot of computers in to fix and Lenovo is probably one of the least amount we get. If someone ever returns one, there is usually nothing wrong with it at all. Most returns are because people dont like Windows 8. There are many brands that I wouldnt buy, but Lenovo is not one of them.

Specifically, what brands would you not buy?

And, is it possible that the reason there aren't a lot of Lenovo that need to get repaired is because there are less Lenovos that get sold and therefore less Lenovos that need to be repaired?

If two computer brands have the same rate of problems but brand X is way more popular than brand Y, then we'd hear a lot more complaints and stories about brand X computers breaking down even if it has the same rate of problems as brand Y.

I have already put that into consideration, but my retail job sells many Lenovo laptops. If anything they sell the least amount of Sony, but it doesnt really matter because we take in laptops that we dont sell either.

Me personally, I would not buy a Dell or Alienware. I am neutral to HP, Gateway, Sony and Toshiba.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users