Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run a virus scan in normal mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmzwarick

jmzwarick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have been having a problem with my computer for several months, Windows XP Home SP3 was randomly crashing.  I had Kaspersky Pure 3.0 installed and when I tried to run a full system scan Windows crashes and goes to the blue screen.  I contacted the vendor and they claimed it was not a virus but a Windows problem.  I removed Kaspersky and installed Bitdefenfer Total Security 2013.  When I ran a scan in rescue mode the first time it claims it found and fixed a Trojan virus.  I can now sucessfully run a scan in resue mode with no problems detected.  However I still cannot run a full scan in normal mode.  I sent this information to the vendor but it has been a few weeks and they have not responded after asking for two files generated by their utilities.

My computer is no longer crashing randomly but I still cannot run a full virus scanin normal mode, only rescue mode.  Also when I use IE 8 and click a link inside a webpage random unrealated windows pop up even though I have the pop up blocker on.  I close the page that pops up and then click on the link a second time and it goes where I intended.

I have attached the hijack this log and if requested can attach the two files generated by the Bitdefender utility BDSYSLOG and BDSP_JOESDESKTOP

Thank you in adavance for the help

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from  XP to the appropriate forum.  HJT logs are allowed only in Malware Removal Logs~ Queen-Evie*

Attached Files

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 September 2013 - 09:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 38,756 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.
===

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.
  • Click the Report button and the report will open in Notepad.

• IMPORTANT

• If you click the Clean button all items listed in the report will be removed.

• If you find some false positive items or programs that you wish to keep, Close the AdwCleaner windows.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.
  • Check off the element(s) you wish to keep.
  • Click on the Clean button follow the prompts.
  • A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.
  • You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt (n is a number).
  • ===

thisisujrt.gif Please download
    Junkware Removal Tool to your Desktop.
  • Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, right-mouse click it and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please post the contents of JRT.txt into your reply.
  • ===

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:
    Link 1
    Link 2
    IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
  • Disable your Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools.
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
  • Some Rookit infection may damage your boot sector. The Windows Recovery Console may be needed to restore it. Do not bypass this installation. You may regret it.
  • **Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.
    RcAuto1.gif
    Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:
    whatnext.png
    Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
    When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Note: If you have difficulty properly disabling your protection programs, refer to this link --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html

Do not mouse click ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

Note: If after running ComboFix you get this error message "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." when attempting to run a program all you need to do is restart the computer to reset the registry.
    ===
    HijackThis doesn't handle Windows 7 well. In your case I need to see a final DDS Log.
    You should remove HijackThis using the Add/Remove Programs list. Use the DDS tool from now on.

Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.

Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.

1: DDS.scr (Not recommended if you use Chrome to download this .scr file. Use the other options.)
    2: DDS.pif
    3: DDS.COM

Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
    A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
    Notepad will open with the results.
    Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.[/list]Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run.

dds_scr.gif

Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post.
    <<<>>>

Please paste the logs in your next reply, DO NOT ATTACH THEM
    Let me know what problem persists.

#3 jmzwarick

jmzwarick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thank you for offering to help.  I spent a lot of hours trying to fix my computer including running malwarebytes and everything failed.  I finally decided to reload Windows XP.  That worked for a few days and now programs will not run.  As an example when I click on IE the program starts and I see the IE screen and then the program stops.

I gave up and am just going to take the computer out of service.

#4 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 38,756 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users