Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using more then one registry cleaner

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole Alzamora

Nicole Alzamora

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Is it bad to use more then just one program, I use one program CCleaner and I use Jetclean and wise registry cleaner, and I use them at different times and it finds stuff in one that it didn't in the other is it always good to have more then one program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Hello Nicole, well actually Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

...Windows continually references the registry in the background and it is not designed to be accessed or edited. Some products such as registry cleaning utilities suggest that the registry needs regular maintenance or cleaning. However, serious issues can occur when you modify the registry incorrectly using these types of utilities. These issues might require users to reinstall the operating system due to instability. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved without a reinstallation of the Operating System as the extent of the changes made by registry cleaning utilities varies from application to application...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners...

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 aniboljones

aniboljones

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Used CCLEANER for years with no problems.  It's one of the safer and is recommended more often than not if you are inclined to use one.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaning feature.

#6 nalin

nalin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

According to me CCleaners are used to remove unused and temporary files to make your computer perform faster . I don't think keeping 2 CCleaner at a time has any advantage or even has any harmful factor. so if one CCleaner is doing its work why another one is required?  :bubbles:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

Some folks may use another temp and junk file cleaning program in addition to CCleaner to look for and remove anything that may have been missed. There is no harm in doing that.

However, the subject of this topic was using more then one registry cleaner. We do not recommend the use of any registry cleaning program for the reasons already explained above.

#8 LeeWilliams

LeeWilliams

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

I have been reading all the comments about Registry tools and can only conclude that we should not use them, unless we want added problems.  Does anyone have an idea why my computer takes so long to startup?  I have had to do a System recovery a time or two (the last one being a little over 17 months ago.  I jus had a tech repl all my Motherboard and most of the hard drive.  Previously I have had 3 Blue Screens.... Computer take a mini8mum of 11-15  minutes to startup since that problem, although starting in Safe mode is reasonably fast!....  Any ideas, Anyone???

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

If your computer/browser seems to be slow, please refer to Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.

There are various reasons for slowness and poor performance besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, too many browser add-ons/plug-ins, extensions, toolbars, failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As you use your system it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down and behave oddly so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing).

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

According to me CCleaners are used to remove unused and temporary files to make your computer perform faster . I don't think keeping 2 CCleaner at a time has any advantage or even has any harmful factor. so if one CCleaner is doing its work why another one is required?  :bubbles:

CCleaner is a Brand name for a multi-use tool from Piriform. The program has some good uses.

You must be careful when you say > remove unused and temporary files < as some Unused files may not be Temp Files.

If you only want to use a Temp File Cleaner, then there are several specific tools just for that purpose.

This is the one more used here - Please download TFC, or Temp File Cleaner By Old Timer
Usage Instructions:
* Download TFC from the download link above and save the file on your desktop.
* Close ALL running applications as TFC will terminate them before attempting to clean up the temporary files.
* Double-click on the TFC icon.
* When the program opens, click on the Start button. 
* TFC will terminate the Explorer process and all running applications and then begin the process of cleaning out all of your temp folders.
* When done, press OK to reboot your computer and finish the cleanup.
Note: Depending on how much data is currently stored in the Temp folders, this process may take quite a while to remove all of the files, so please be patient.

Or another tool that was once just used for XP, but has now been upgraded to work up to Windows 7.

I use this on my XP and TFC on my Windows 7 as they are purpose designed tools.

Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune from Atribunes Home Page or HEREand save it to your Desktop.
Follow the instructions for the browser you use at the Home Page.
Read the instructions about the cookies. Delete what you do not need.
Double click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Check the boxes to the left of:

Windows Temp
Current User Temp
All Users Temp
Temporary Internet Files
*Prefetch (Windows XP) only.
Java Cache

(I usually tick Select All since I normally use Internet Explorer on my XP)

The rest are optional - if you want to remove the lot, check "Select All".
Finally click Empty Selected. When you get the "Done Cleaning" message, click OK.

The advantage of ATF is that you do not need to close / save all work, as I ran it while typing this.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users