Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont go past Windows boot manager

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 walkstraightdown

walkstraightdown

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hi all!

I'm working on a computer for a friend and ran into a problem I've never seen.

First off, When you turn it on you can't access the BIOS screen at all. You can press escape til you're blue in the face but nothing happens. After that it goes to windows boot manager and asks to choose an OS, windows 7. But none of the keys do anything. Not enter, tab or any other key that's an option.

However, if you hold down f8 while it starts it takes you to a black screen that says windows is loading files with a loading bar. Halfway through loading it starts to beep like crazy and never stops til you shut it down.

I really don't know what's going on. Any advice or help would be awesome.

HP G72
Windows 7
4 Gb ram
Dunno about the processor but if you need more info. I can figure it out

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hi,

Have you tried to boot using the install disk?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

It looks like a hardware problem that could be related to one or more issue. You might want to look at this link :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02222922

Is the given computer code complete?

According to my search your given code points only to laptops; unless I’ve  missed something!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&query=HP+G72

Complete computer code will be needed to determine the motherboard code or the BIOS version; which in turn can be used to interpret any beeps the computer is making.

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

However, if you hold down f8 while it starts it takes you to a black screen that says windows is loading files with a loading bar. Halfway through loading it starts to beep like crazy and never stops til you shut it down.

If you're getting a progress bar across the bottom of the screen in this instance, then it is loading (or trying to load) the Recovery drive. Which means you've a hard drive issue.

A few possibilities:

RAM - in desktops a constant beep is usually faulty RAM; however there are beep codes in laptops and RAM errors don't usually emit constant beeps, rather 2-4 beeps (or light blinks)

CPU - Constant beeping in laptops can be attributed to a failing CPU.

Never seen this work but try: As soon as you turn your computer on and see the light flash, press the Fn key and press F1-F12 until it turns back on. It should reboot by the time you get to about F2 or F3.

Is the system getting hot? Is the fan running? Can you smell anything burnt?

#5 walkstraightdown

walkstraightdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the speedy replies everyone.

Unfortunately I don't have a 7 install disk handy, but I really do need to get one.

Spycatcher,

I looked at those links and didn't see what this computer is doing. There's no. pause between a sequence of beeps or. anything. Just keeps on beeping. But it. only beeps when it tries to load the recovery console.

Netghost,

I tried reseating the RAM and even resetting the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery. No luck. The fans are all operating normally and I don't think its overheating, no odd smells.

What's confusing me the most is that the keyboard doesn't do anything. The only time it does is when I hold escape or F8 or F11 and it takes me to the recovery console where it quits and beeps. Otherwise, its like it doesn't work. The number lock lights up, and so does the F12 key that has the wireless fn.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Have you tried running it with the hard drive disconnected/removed?

#7 walkstraightdown

walkstraightdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

I tried it with the hard drive disconnected, and I got the same beeps I was getting before. And I can access the BIOS now. So I guess its hard drive failure. Guessing I should use a SATA cable and save all her stuff before it gets worse?

#8 walkstraightdown

walkstraightdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

One more thing.... I got to the BIOS and it gave me eight short beeps and started going through the options by itself. From right to left like I'm holding an arrow key but I'm not..... is the keyboard fried too?

#9 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Never a bad idea to do a backup, especially when dealing with erroneous system.

Do you know the maker of your BIOS?

Here's a list of beep codes for all BIOS and several manufacturers:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07107#N433

You should have a Diagnostics program available in BIOS that could identify your issue.

#10 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

...eight short beeps...

This possibly points to a motherboard failure.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/mother-board-gives-8-beeps-no-display/td-p/1032493

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07107#N1031

Complete computer code will be needed to determine the motherboard code or the BIOS version; which in turn can be used to interpret any beeps the computer is making.

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

#11 walkstraightdown

walkstraightdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Well after talking to the owner and doing some looking around I came up with a theory.

She said that she had it sitting beside her bed running and left it for a day. She came back the next day and it was off. She turned it on and it went to WBM.

Her BIOS manufacturer isn't listed on that ( insyde I
think its called) but I read that the continuous beep with no pause that I experienced in the beginning of this is CPU failure from overheating. Could that be why it's going haywire in the BIOS screen and not responding properly to keystrokes? Or am I overthinking this?

#12 walkstraightdown

walkstraightdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

Motherboard failure is a good option too. Can it make the keyboard no respond and do weird things like scroll through the BIOS uncontrollably?

#13 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Sounds like a stuck key.

#14 walkstraightdown

walkstraightdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

I don't see any stuck keys they all seem to move normally.

#15 Tom Lang

Tom Lang

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

Just had exact same issue, it was the keyboard for me!!  Same issue where I couldn't select anything from the Boot Manager.  Plugged in another keyboard so I could proceed, but during that boot the beeping occured, so I held computer upside down, shook and hit all buttons on the bad keyboard, the beeping stopped, and the computer booted up just fine.  Thanks all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users