Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will freezeat startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 freshjuice

freshjuice

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hello,

I have windows 7 SP1. When I boot, windows loads, I enter my password, and it appears to finish loading. However, when I try to do anything it will quickly freeze. I can turn it off with the power button, and I can then reboot into safe mode and safe mode with networking (both work fine).

I am not sure how this began. I have had a couple infrequent BSOD's in the past year, but nothing I considered unusual. A few days ago, I tried to wake up my laptop as I plugged in my phone to charge it (Motorola RAZR MAXX HD), and I appeared to plug it in too quickly because it froze and never fully woke up.I was able to restart normally then, but that coupled with another recent freeze-up propmted me to run malwarebytes just to see if anything was there. The only resule was a single potentially unwanted program related to the video program veetle, and I decided to remove it and restart later. WHen I restarted, the problem began - first I had an error message stating:

"There was a problem starting C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Cleanup.dll. The specified module could not be found."

Windows loaded after that but froze. I went to safe mode, uninstalled and reinstalled malwarebytes, and the message disappeared, but windows would still freeze at startup. I re-ran malwarebytes and tried to remove the PUP again, and I think it worked, I ran AVG and I don't think it found anything (in safe mode it didn't show me a results screen after it finished).

My laptop did not come with a windows dvd, and I stupidly never created the backup disk. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freshjuice

freshjuice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

A couple more notes.

After a the recent startup problem mentioned above, Windows started Startup Repair. It could not fix the problem, and I tried to do a system restore but none were available. I did a memory scan and after it finished it rebooted fine.

In the current problem scenario, I have two system restore points now, but they are from after the previous problem and do not fix anything.

#3 freshjuice

freshjuice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

I tried startup repair again, it found nothing. I tried the memory check again, it found nothing and windows froze again. I tried system restore again and it seems like it worked, but I suspect the problem will show up again. Is there anything I can do to figure out the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users