Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP freezes during startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MafiaDon

MafiaDon

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hi,

My HP DX5150 running Windows XP Pro freezes on the startup screen. It will not boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking or "the last good configuration" option. Even the bars stop moving on the startup screen. I also noticed that the computer was running hot just before it started to freeze.

Also, about a month or so XP started rebooting itself at random times while in use. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

You should start by taking the cover off it and CLEANING it inside, i.e. get rid of any dust buildups, - especially on the processor heatsink with a can of compressed air. After you've done that then try it. If no better what I would do is run memtest on your RAM and see if there are problems there.

#3 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

You can try some of the troubleshooting steps in this link:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

#4 MafiaDon

MafiaDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

You should start by taking the cover off it and CLEANING it inside, i.e. get rid of any dust buildups, - especially on the processor heatsink with a can of compressed air. After you've done that then try it. If no better what I would do is run memtest on your RAM and see if there are problems there.

Ok, I'll do that this weekend. Then I'll report back with the results.

Thanks for your help.

#5 MafiaDon

MafiaDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

You can try some of the troubleshooting steps in this link:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm

If after cleaning and memtesting this weekend doesn't work, then I'll follow the troubleshooting steps in the link and report back either Monday or Tuesday.   Thanks SpyCatcher.

#6 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

You’re welcome and good luck.

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

#7 dj07

dj07

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

Check the hardware of your system and clean them. Look for the memory space; check whether it is optimum for proper working of your windows. If there is insufficient memory space then remove some unused data from your computer and defrag it. Also, clean windows registry and cache codes. Look for the start up programs, if it is overcrowded then it’s time to remove some unnecessary applications from the control panel. And last but not the least, scan your computer with some good antivirus applications like Immunet Antivirus, Norton Antivirus, Kaspersky Antivirus, Avast Antivirus, Bitdefender Antivirus etc. You can use anyone of them. Hope this will help you to fasten your windows.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

Also, clean windows registry and cache codes.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner :

“A registry cleaner is a class of third party software utility designed for the Microsoft Windows operating system, whose purported purpose is to remove redundant items from the Windows registry.  Registry cleaners are not supported by Microsoft, but vendors of Registry cleaners claim that they are useful to repair inconsistencies arising from manual changes to applications, especially COM-based programs.. 

The necessity and usefulness of registry cleaners is a controversial topic, with experts in disagreement over their benefits. The problem is further clouded by the fact that malware and scareware are often associated with utilities of this type.There is a popular misconception that the value of registry cleaning lies in reducing "registry bloat". Even a neglected registry will seldom contain more than two or three thousand redundant entries. Bearing in mind that the modern registry may contain more than a million entries, the elimination of two or three thousand will not save any noticeable amount of scanning time.

Some registry cleaners make no distinction as to the severity of the errors, and many that do may erroneously categorize errors as "critical" with little basis to support it. It.  Removing or changing certain registry data can prevent the system from starting, or cause application errors and crashes.  A poorly-designed registry cleaner may not be equipped to know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This may lead to loss of functionality and/or system instability.

While it is true that some registry cleaners are safe, these cleaners do not improve performance. The rest are a mix of snake-oil, actual malware, or dangerously powerful tools unsuited to non-professionals.”

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

BC does not support the use of "registry cleaners/optimizers".

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2013 - 07:22 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users