Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 boots to black screen with mouse cursor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jakkwb

jakkwb

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hello. Is 64 bit home version. No restore points available. Boots this way in every mode. Last known good does same thing.

System was brought to me like this. I ran a test on the HD (A WD) it failed their test and said it needed replaced. I bought new one, did a drive copy (it completed copy with a few errors) and I am getting the same thing with the new HD in.

Ctrl-alt-del does nothing, nor does hitting shift to get onscreen keyboard (the cursor changes for a second, then back to arrow)

Any advice?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Can you give us the make and model of this computer please ?

Ctrl-alt-del does nothing, nor does hitting shift to get onscreen keyboard

Is this a tablet, a laptop or a desktop ?

In general, the black screen with the blinking cursor suggests that the system cannot find a bootable drive. In general, pressing 'F8' at the BIOS screen if a computer is doing this will bring up a drive selection screen, select the hard drive that has Windows on it, press 'Enter' and, again generally, it will go and boot.

If the black screen is occurring later in the process, say after the 'Starting Windows' screen appears, this isn't the cure.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users