Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL Router/modem Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 verlander

verlander

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm having issues with my DSL modem. My ISP recently provided me with a new modem, which turned out to be defective. They provided a new modem, which is now the problem. The modem functions (all indicator lights on), Windows 7 identifies it as a modem, but it will not connect to the internet. The new modem is a Comtrend CT-5072T, the old one is a Westell 2200. According to the indicator lights it is connected to the internet, however, Windows Network and Sharing center shows that it is not connected to the internet. As an added bonus, the original modem, which the ISP provided does allow me to access the internet - this modem though, is very slow.

Each time I connect the new modem, it creates a new network connection, though it does not maintain a list. I'm not sure why this occurs without storing information about the old network connection. If any further information is needed regarding my computer, let me know.

Please be gentle with me in terms of replies - I am a complete newbie with these things. Any help in getting rid of the old modem and replacing it with the new one is greatly appreciated.

Mod Edit: Moved topic from External Hardware to the more appropriate forum. ~bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 18 September 2013 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

DSL uses PPPoE which requires you to input a username and password in order to access the internet. From what it sounds like is that your new modem does not have the information stored so it can't verify your access pretty much thus not allowing you to the internet.

Here is a guide that you can use to help you setup your new modem.

http://www.accesspointinc.com/pdf/Comtrend1PortRouterInstallGuide.pdf

If you need any help along the way please just ask.

Also this topic needs to be moved to the networking forum as this is network related. I'll see if I can get a moderator to move it for you.

Edited by chrisd87, 18 September 2013 - 11:59 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 verlander

verlander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Thank you for the help and fast reply. I'm now connected using the new modem.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

Anytime, did you follow the guide, and if not what method did you use to get it connected?

Reason I ask is so that if anyone else is viewing this topic, they know what you did to resolve the issue.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users