Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.iso files in Mint and/or Ubuntu in a VM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hola.

So, I'm running both Mint and Ubuntu in Oracle's Virtual Box and everything seems to be working okay.

I don't *quite* know what I'm doing when I'm out stumbling there in the World Wide Web but I feel awkwardly safer.

I've downloaded the same .iso file using Mint as well as Ubuntu without any issues but can't seem to get either OS to burn the file to a CD/DVD.

Not sure if it applies but wanted to include the VM is running on a HP Windows 7 machine with a fair amount of RAM.

Once I drop the blank DVD into my tray the main system (Windows 7) "sees" it and I get the standard "what do you want to do with this?" prompt but of course, I'm looking to drag and drop this .iso file onto the blank DVD that doesn't seem to be recognized when I look at the Computer in Mint or Ubuntu.

I do need to add that I installed these two OS' a few months back and if I'm going to need a password to install or execute...well, it's looking like I'm going to have to delete and then reinstall, yes?    :blush:   Because I sure as heck can't remember the password I put onto these two - major >D'oh!<

I'm not in a hurry to get this done, mostly would just like to learn along the way.

What I'm looking to achieve is how downloading via torrents works and it seems super darn easy inside any of the Linux OS's I've been running (using Transmission, which I'd never even heard of.)

Also, getting my hardware (CD/DVD burner and/or USB ports) recognized while I'm inside of my VM with these or any other Linux apps.  I've also got Zorin and OS4 loaded.

And, if in these instances, will I almost always need my passwords in Linux?

The beauty of the VM is that I can delete these OS and reload - this time writing down my password :lol:   - and then head back over to the download site and re-grab the .iso file in question.

Any of you open source geeks got some words of wisdom for the Virtual noob?

Thanks in advance,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freakassoid

freakassoid

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

hello

so your trying to get Mint or Ubuntu VM in Virtualbox to see your host cd/dvd rom ?

if so open Virtualbox and click on the VM of Mint or Ubuntu then click on settings from there click on storage
in the storage tree you should see the controllers

click on the host drive or picture of a disk not the vdi one
then under attributes on the right where it says cd/dvd drive:IDE Secondary Master
click the picture of the disk next to it and choose your host drive
that should get your VM to see your host drive

about passwords i'm not sure how to reset in linux but you could just delete in Virtlalbox and build again

for the usb with the usb device hooked up to the host start a VM in Virtualbox at the bottom of the box to the
right there is picture of usb plug right click that and choose your usb device you would like to use in your VM

i hope you can follow this

thanks

James

:)

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hey there James and good morning.

Thanks for the feedback and directions but I'm still coming up against a wall here.

Since I'm fairly new to the VM thing, I created the Ubuntu as a .vhd and the Mint as a .vdi only because I don't (and still don't) know what the difference is and/or the limitations of each.

When I select the Storage Tree under the Ubuntu - Setting window, I can see the part that you outlined:

"then under attributes on the right where it says cd/dvd drive:IDE Secondary Master
click the picture of the disk next to it and choose your host drive
"

However, the disk next to it is greyed out and does not seem to be an option. Underneath that is a box that could be checked labeled Passthrough but again, it's greyed out and not available.

Not really sure how to move forward with all this, as I mentioned in my OP I may simply recreate these VMs and this time make note of any passwords I use and also actually take an afternoon and read Oracle's VM Manual, which clocks in at a whopping 338 pages!

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Once I've got these Virtual Machines recreated I'll let you know how I set them up, if I was successful, etc.

onward,

Winterland

#4 freakassoid

freakassoid

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

well my passthrough is unchecked but if you have parts grayed out it i wonder if it could
help if you reinstalled Virtualbox it self maby a bad install or update

and/or your security could of blocked something durning the install of Virtualbox

for info on Vhd and Vdi see here
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.html

i would also take a look around here at Virtualbox forum to see if others have the grayed out problem
https://forums.virtualbox.org/index.php

i wish you luck i had a lot of fun learning about Virtualbox, Linux and it helped me with real computers also

James

:)

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

You can burn an .ISO in Windows 7 by simply right click on the .ISO and choose "burn disk image". 

You can read about more options here: Burn ISO Images Natively in Windows 7

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

James, hello again and thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

I considered the re-install, esp. in light of the fact that I'm going to re-install all the Linux OS profiles I've got in the VM.

So much gets resolved with either a re-install or the old reboot.

Thanks for the links as well. I think it's for the best if I stumble around the virtualbox Forums and check out the HowTos and Tutorials before I re-install anything.

As I mentioned previously, if I can this resolved, I'll try to post here how I went about it and/or send you a PM.

buddy215 - appreciate the link as well although I can't get this darn .iso file over to my Host Machine...it's virtually stuck in my virtual machine. :lmao:

I'll keep you all updated and in between all that, I'll see you in the Forums.

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users