Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amd Cpu's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 swas

swas

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:16 AM

Hi all, I have a question about this CPU as far as what all the numbers mean, AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3200+ 90nmCPU.

How can you tell what speed it is???, also how does it compare to intel chips.

Thanks for any help and opinions

SWAS
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hi all, I have a question about this CPU as far as what all the numbers mean, AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3200+ 90nmCPU.

Athlon 64 is the make of the processor; (939) means it fits into a Socket 939; 3200+ is the model number, and generally higher is faster; 90nm is the average transistor size, and smaller is generally better.

As for speed the only real way to get an idea is to head over here and have a look at some of their benchmarks. Have a look at this article for example, it has benchmarks featuring the 3200+.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Mr Alpha Those articles did help indeed. In your opinion for a high end gaming machine would the Amd processors be better than the intels???

Thanks
swas

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

Definitely, if you look at the article you can see AMD sweeping the floor in gaming benchmarks.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

Yeah I was hoping I had read that right!! LOL
:thumbsup:

thanks again

swas

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:11 PM

Note that from this review that the faster AMD 64 processors are much more expensive yet only add a few percent more horsepower. Gaming speed is much more dependent on the speed of the video card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users