Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you play windows 95/98 games on vista?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 erji01

erji01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

I found a pile of windows 95/98 games in my closet and I want to play them but I only have a vista please help. I dont know much about computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Running old games in Compatibility Mode can often help. If you need instructions or further info, put your question into Google - tons of info/links.

#3 lti

lti

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Some of those games might work without changing anything. A few might work in compatibility mode.

Virtual machines don't work for games (actually, there isn't much that works in a virtual machine under Windows 98). DOSBox is the only one that has a chance of working.

#4 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

I heartily recommend DOSBox. got my old xcom games playing just fine on win 7 =D

#5 billman87

billman87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

I love playing old games like Need for Speed 3 Hot Purist right back to Hugos Hunted House.

Depends on the Game, I have allot of experience Getting older Games to play.

Allot of popular Games have been ported or have patches some research on a specific game will help.

List the games you want to play and your current CPU/GPU  and I can provide specific instructions.

#6 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Above suggestions are good and the way to go. Just FYI... All Windows 95, 98 and ME operating systems are based on the DOS file system. Any system after that uses the NTFS file system (Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7 & 8) and are not compatible with DOS. So that is why virtual DOS and other utilities are used to set up an artificial "DOS" environment that you can run your game in. There is loads of info on this, just Google any of the above utility names.

Edited by ranchhand1, 11 March 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#7 billman87

billman87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Just FYI... All Windows 95, 98 and ME operating systems are based on the DOS file system. Any system after that uses the NTFS file system (Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7 & 8) and are not compatible with DOS. So that is why virtual DOS and other utilities are used to set up an artificial "DOS" environment that you can run your game in.

This is incorrect, Yes DOS was the base frame however there were software running inside Windows 95 called DirectX.

You can not run DirectX in a dos environment. Version 1-8 Were available on Windows 95 98 NT and ME.

Its very tricky to make these older "Windows" applications to run on new OSes and certain will never work in dos.

You also have things like Common Controls for windowed applications and Visual Basic Runtime also not dos compatible.

I Grew up playing games on these systems the some of the last games I played that were pure DOS were Quake 1 and Screamer 2, however games like Fallout provided both DOS and Windows Executables however most games did not.

For Example Carmageddon 2 is a DirectX 5 Game this was only supported on Windows 98, no DOS support.

The ONLY way to play these games without modification is inside a Virtual Computer running the correct OS.

Edited by billman87, 11 March 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#8 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

i would reccomend downloading Microsoft Virtual PC. i cant remember if its free or if you have to buy it. if you have an old copy of win95 or 98, you can install it on that virtual machine and play all of the DOS/win95 games you want

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users