Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Customer won't pay for computer repair

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thegoodrats

thegoodrats

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

What to do when a customer won't pay for computer repair and wants his laptop back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Undo the repair and give it back.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

If your repair has cured the problem, then keep the laptop until he does pay. Tell him to sing for his supper.

Providing the instructions to actually repair the fault were clear and not just a request for an estimate, then as the repair has been successfully carried out according to customer instructions, he has`nt got a leg to stand on. The trading laws are totally on your side. Wish him a nice day. 

If you repaired the laptop without being given clear instructions to go ahead, then I am afraid the customer has a legal right to reclaim his laptop, repair or no repair. Work done without authorisation is an invalid reason for retaining a customers private property.

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 September 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

If you want I could talk to my uncle Vito about this little trouble your having. Solving problems like this is what he does everyday.

2zh19pv.jpg
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

If you want I could talk to my uncle Vito about this little trouble your having. Solving problems like this is what he does everyday.

2zh19pv.jpg

ROLLINSMILEY_zps0595da82.gif

As sure as Hell, the guy will pay double and tell him to keep the laptop just to disappear quick.

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 September 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

If it is under $5,000.00 total including filing fees and you have all the documentation? Three words, Small Claims Court.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

2zh19pv.jpg

Is your Uncle Vito the same one as mine? Mine is Uncle Vito with no knees.

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Is your Uncle Vito the same one as mine? Mine is Uncle Vito with no knees.

My Vito still has his knees. And he is doing very well with that plate in his skull. I can't say the same for the person responsible for Vito needing one.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

Vito doesn't stand a chance against.

Judge-Judy.png

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

True, Animal. There isn't much that Vito fears. Judge Judy is the exception. She can't be bought, for one.

#11 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

True, Animal. There isn't much that Vito fears. Judge Judy is the exception. She can't be bought, for one.

Vito looks like a real one man Nuke. Judge Judy is just a bum middle aged, over paid  actor - a fake fictional set up like Little Red Riding Hood and the big bad  Wolf.

Nah, Vito  would eat Judge (Hollywood) Judy in a single bite.

#12 terlan

terlan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

judge judy can't be bought for a simple reason the old broad is worth over $110 million and earns over $123,000 per day.

Vito looks like a real one man Nuke. Judge Judy is just a bum middle aged, over paid  actor - a fake fictional set up like Little Red Riding Hood and the big bad  Wolf.

nah... judge judy is or rather was a genuine New york judge in both criminal and family courts in the 1980s until 1996. She had a reputation for being tough no nonsense judge. She is in no way a "hollywood fake"

Edited by terlan, 19 September 2013 - 05:23 AM.

#13 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

judge judy can't be bought for a simple reason the old broad is worth over $110 million and earns over $123,000 per day.

nah... judge judy is or rather was a genuine New york judge in both criminal and family courts in the 1980s until 1996. She had a reputation for being tough no nonsense judge. She is in no way a "hollywood fake"

JJ  WAS a real Judge as you say way back in time, bumming around at low level in the local family Courts of NY, but is NOW just a spent old middle aged over paid actor, working to a Hollywood script with paid participants.  All cleverly choreographed to get a gullible audience hyped up in a world of Joan of Arc  make-believe. Rather like Superman or Batman does to the simple minded.

JJ has made a colossal and disgusting fortune out of petty acting in her TV farce.

#14 terlan

terlan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

back on topic for OP.

Your problem of the owner of the laptop not paying is a tricky one depending on circumstances, you dont go into a lot of details so its gonna depend on a lot of factors.

First local laws, you might find depending where you live holding someones property in lue of payment is illegal. Or it may be a totally legal option.

Next, are you a registered business, or are you just working out house, offering to fix a pc for peopel you know for a small fee. if this is the case holding the laptop for payment could be reported as theft by the laptops owner.

if you are a registered business, did you have a pre-repair contract with the customer, did you state all charges clearly before the repair was conducted., if you didnt, repaired the laptop then told customer repairs are £XXX he technically doesnt have to pay for work he hasn't authorised and you'd probably have to return the laptop.

If you have a contract or bill of sale authorising it all you'll probably have to give laptop back, and chase up the fees in small claims courts.

if there was no contract : Was the repair software or hardware related. if its hardware, remove the new hardware restore the laptop to its original faulty condition if possible and return it to the user, scratch it up to experience and save yourself the grief.

If it was software, use system restore if its available to undo any fixes you made, remove any software you installed and again right off the thing as a bad experience and return the laptop.

Bottom line, if you have no contract, or the law says you cant hold the laptop till payment is received or you arent a registered business, save yourself a lot of the time and grief, give them the laptop back and move on. learn form it and in the future start using contracts if you didn't and get at least part payment in advance to cover any expenses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users