Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configure My Router Over Wi-Fi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crybllrd

crybllrd

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

I just got a new D-Link 300l wifi router. I hooked it up to my modem which resides on another floor.

When it comes to setting it up, I know I need to plug an ethernet wire into it and go to http://192.168.0.1 to begin configuring it.

However, I really don't want to haul my whole setup down two flights of stairs. I am connected to it over wifi, but with "no internet access" as per Win7.

If I go to 192.168.0.1 in Chrome, I get 

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.0.1

Do I really need to hardwire it? Can I not setup over Wi-Fi?

EDIT: Also my internet requires a password. Is that why my wifi has no internet access, or is it just because it hasn't been configured yet? And where do I enter my username and password for the router to get internet?

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2013 - 11:15 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

192.168.0.1 should be your router gateway.... plug it into your machine via LAN to access this, you don't need your modem.

Your username and password to access the router are normally printed on the label that is attached to it.

Then once in the config pages set up the wireless network... No internet connection required.

Edited by TsVk!, 18 September 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#3 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

So I need to bring the router up here, set it up via LAN, set it up, carry it back down and  connect to modem?

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

What you want to do is connect the wan connection from your modem to the wan connection on your router. Then from there you should be able to change the config over wifi as most out of the box routers come with no security by default. If your main internet makes you have a password, then type the password in, and then go to the 192.168.0.1 address and see if you're allowed to get to the login page. From there you will type your default username and password.

Essentially you can always do what TsVk suggested and configure it over the lan with no internet. Most routers come with a getting started guide, or a cd to help you through the installation process. Have you looked at these?

Also if this is going to turn into a Network related topic, it will need to be moved to the networking forum.

Edited by chrisd87, 18 September 2013 - 07:59 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users