Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS G50v wont turn on

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Vaine

Vaine

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hey folks. Got a bit of a pickle for ya! I fix laptops and desktops well this issue here boggles my mind...

I am working on a Asus g50v. I have replaced the motherboard already and still have the same symptoms.

The lights turn on, HDD, power, the small Republic of gamers lcd, and all the power lights and neon lights on the case around mouse, and power light when turned on. The fan does not turn on, No sounds, no display. Nothing. Its completely dead other than the hard drive working. Someone did spill Tea on the keyboard but most of it was caught in the plastic coating. I cleaned up the board and installed the new motherboard and its still dead. No sounds, no beeps from the bios, all I hear is hard drive, no display, except lights.

Ive tried to use an external monitor cable, no display. COuld it be possible the fan doesnt turn on due to it being fine on temp? Is the gpu bad and preventing anything even though I used the external port? I have no ideas why this thing wont power on to be usable. Ive hooked up the HDD to my desktop pc through some ide/sata cables, its not corrupted.How about the CPU?

Any ideas? I would apprecite it. 

Edited by Vaine, 17 September 2013 - 11:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Is the replacement motherboard an EXACT duplicate? Same part no#? Verified?

Did you double check all the ribbons to make sure they are properly secured?

Have you checked the RAM? Try them in another system?

Sounds like a RAM issue. You say no beeping, but are the lights blinking in any sequence?

#3 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

I would replace the keyboard too since tea was spilled on it.. There is no telling what else could have gotten damaged from the tea. I also agree with Netghost56, could very well be a RAM issue. The CPU fan should turn on as the laptop powers on, at least mine does when I turn it on and I have a gaming Asus G61.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#4 Vaine

Vaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

I already did a RAM test, its fine. The fan powered up in another system, it works.Mobo is exact duplicate. Ribbons are fine....

'

TO clarify, The system is dead, the only thing that works is the HDD indicator light and the fancy buttons by the power button. I did make a few phone calls, some saying the Keyboard needs to be replaced the tea in it could be shorting things out. Is that liable?

#5 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

I already did a RAM test, its fine. The fan powered up in another system, it works.Mobo is exact duplicate. Ribbons are fine....

'

TO clarify, The system is dead, the only thing that works is the HDD indicator light and the fancy buttons by the power button. I did make a few phone calls, some saying the Keyboard needs to be replaced the tea in it could be shorting things out. Is that liable?

That is most definately possible.

Sincerely, Blake.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Keyboard generally don't pull as much power as, say, the monitor. But since it is the only component left that has had definite contact with liquids, it could very well be the culprit.

#7 Vaine

Vaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

Well I just replaced the keyboard and still, nothing. I am running out of ideas, any suggestions?

Do appologize for late update, keyboard come from china, so it took a while....

Edited by Vaine, 06 October 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#8 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

I am leaning towards a bad motherboard man.

Sincerely, Blake.

#9 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hmm. Sounds like a candidate for a reflowing...

http://youtu.be/niRuCHv3Ti4

EDIT: I have done this several times, it DOES work- but not 100% of the time. Since you are getting some response (HDD light) I feel good about your chances.

Edited by Netghost56, 07 October 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#10 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

I never was a big fan of reflowing. If a hardware piece is bad I just replace it, but that's just me. I feel the same about capacitors on motherboards; if a CAP is blown, there is a reason why it blew and I would replace the whole mobo instead of re-soldering  a new CAP. But people go to extreme lengths to fix electronics so... since its not working anyway, what else would you be losing? Worst case scenario you can buy a new motherboard on ebay if you want to go through all of that and do it yourself. 

Sincerely, Blake.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

I never was a big fan of reflowing. If a hardware piece is bad I just replace it, but that's just me. I feel the same about capacitors on motherboards; if a CAP is blown, there is a reason why it blew and I would replace the whole mobo instead of re-soldering  a new CAP. But people go to extreme lengths to fix electronics so... since its not working anyway, what else would you be losing? Worst case scenario you can buy a new motherboard on ebay if you want to go through all of that and do it yourself. 

Well FWIW, many times a Motherboard capacitor fails due to being a junk, low quality brand or line within a good brand.

There are certain brands that are known for early failure.

Reference http://badcaps.net/

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 Vaine

Vaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

I have already bought a brand new mobo and put it in. Nothing.

#13 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

Fans on ROG laptops are always supposed to power on because they are desktop replacements and always generate a lot of heat. My G73JH always has fans on, even when using a minimal amount of power. So there's an issue. I think the GPU got shafted.

Plus, at this point, what else could you possible have to replace? Keyboard and motherboard are new, RAM and HDD are good...my bet is on the GPU.

University at Buffalo - Computer Science Major

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Is the GPU removable? I have yet to handle a laptop with a removable GPU chip.

#15 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Yes. This is a desktop replacement/gaming laptop. It is removable/replaceable/upgradeable.

University at Buffalo - Computer Science Major

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users