Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible for your computer to get hacked into through someone's router?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

Is it possible for your computer to get hacked into if your computer is connected with another person's router? I'm in college right now, and my roommate brought his own router for our dorm. He had to put in his password so I could get connected to his router. Is it possible for him to hack into my computer and look at all my files and steal them? I have a 2 year subscription to Webroot SecureAnywhere to prevent this from happening, but I'm just curious if there is any dangers if your computers becomes connected to another person's router. I'm worried when I connect my external hard drives to my computer, he could potentially steal/erase my files from my external hard drives. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm a very crazy person.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:02 AM

If I were you I would make sure that your "Network Settings" is set to "Public". This should turn off any access to your files.

A bigger danger, IMHO, is that your internet activity could be monitored. Here are some tips to avoid that.

Hope this helps.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

The short answer is - yes, according to a discussion elsewhere here. Do a search for router hacked and hopefully you'll find the topic.
It can be done, but only if the factory password hasn't been changed. The crooks look for specific brands like linksys and try to access the router via the original factory password.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

Top Wi-Fi routers easy to hack, says study by research firm Independent Security Evaluators

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users