Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Keep Living Like This!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Omnifire

Omnifire

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:50 AM

Hello. I recently formatted my computer and to my surprise, the reinstallation cd didn't contain the drivers for my audio controller. The add Hardware Function solved the problem of the lack of graphics controller, but the Audio software still eludes me. Help anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:48 AM

Hi Omnifire!
Please post your computer specs, and if it's a Dell or HP or whatever, and the model number. If your computer has onboard sound, please post your motherboard model number. Drivers are made for specific models, so we'll need this info to help you out.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Omnifire

Omnifire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:11 AM

I'm kind of a tech retard so I need idiot-proof instructions. Can you please tell me what I need to do and how to go aobut it?

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:35 AM

Ok, we'll try this first. Click on Start, then click on Control Panel. In the window that popped up, click on "System". Now, click on "Device Manager". Are there any exclamation points in a yellow circle next to anything? If so, post back and tell us what it's next to. If not, then look down maybe three quarters of the list near the bottom. Click on the "+" symbol next to "Sound, video and game controllers". Now, right click on audio drivers (might say "Legacy audio drivers") and click on "update driver...". It should/might ask you if you want to connect to the internet to update these drivers. Click on "Yes, this time only". Let it go, and see what it does. It might (hopefully) update your drivers which will hopefully make them work. When it's done, see what it says. You may need to restart your computer for any changes to take effect.

Post back and let us know if this works or not.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Omnifire

Omnifire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:36 PM

There are 3 question marks of which you speak. One is next to Ethernet Controller, One next to Multimedia controller and the last next to SM Bus Controller. I Hope that Helps. Update Driver didn't work by the way.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

Ok, now I need to know what kind of computer it is, and it's model number. Like, a Dell dimension 123 B, or a HP 456 C.

Unless you custom built it, or installed a different operating system, then you should have a bunch of discs that came with it. Find a disc that says something like "Drivers CD" or Drivers utilities CD", or "Motherboard Drivers CD". Insert it into your CD drive (or DVD drive or whatever) and it should start automatically. Find an option that says something like "Reinstall Drivers". Click it and let it reinstall the drivers. If it lists drivers seperatly, then you'll have to find them and reinstall them seperatly. It's easier than it sounds. Sorry for all the "something like"'s, but each manufacturer is different, and will list their menu's differently.

If this doesn't work, or you don't have/can't find the CD's, then list what kind of computer it is (Dell, Compaq etc.) and the model number (dimensions xx, or a presario xx) and I'll try to find a site for you to download the drivers that you are lacking.

Be patient, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 Omnifire

Omnifire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

It's Done! That CD had the drivers all along. Thanks Man.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:27 AM

Glad to hear that you're back up and running! :thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

#9 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:14 PM

You might also want to go to the soundcard's manufacturers site and see if there are upgrades for your model soundcard. I had to do that to run DOOM 3 on a 2 year old computer (amazing how fast some things become outdated!!) because the sound was chopping up. It also doesn't hurt to see if there are any upgrades for you video card, as well. Just make sure you check "My Computer" and "Hardware" to find out what make and model cards you have so you don't download the wrong updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users