Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports don't work on one side of laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 riku5464

riku5464

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have a fairly new Lenovo Y510p laptop (only about 3 weeks old). I have had a wireless keyboard and mouse combo hooked up to one of the two USB ports on the left side of the machine. Today, the computer fails to recognize anything plugged into these two usb ports. There is one usb port on the other side of the laptop (right side) that works just fine. I've spent the past few hours trying to troubleshoot the problem to no avail. The laptop seems to vent heat very well and I have not noticed anything else to indicate overheating. Here's a list of the things I have tried, with no success:

-System Restore

-Uninstall USB root hub in the device manager and reboot

-Update the chipset drivers

-Multiple system reboots

-Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the mouse/keyboard combo (its a Logitech Wireless Wave Combo MK550)

-Try different usb devices in the two non working slots (including a wired keyboard and an external wifi adapter)

I really hope that this is not a hardware problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. If anyone has any ideas on what else I can try, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: System specs:

Windows 8 64-bit

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

LENOVO 20217 (U3E1)

Intel HD Graphics 4600 
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 

932GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA)

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU70N

Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by riku5464, 17 September 2013 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I hate to say this but it is time with a three week old laptop to take it in for service.

Use this Authorized Service Provider finder link to find someone local to You to do the servicing.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/service-provider/findServiceProvider.page?

The good news is that once they identify the fault and order the parts Lenovo will overnight the repair parts. 5 day work week at the parts warehouse.Order Friday and get it Monday, Order Saturday, Sunday,Monday and get it Tuesday. Order Monday to Thursday and get it the next day.

Is there any chance of Physical Damage?

Was there a defective USB device plugged in to the Laptop?

Your symptoms indicate a hardware problem. Do not open the laptop and cause a warranty problem.

I did a quick search on the site and I see 11 Authorize Service Providers within 20 Miles of where I am.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 September 2013 - 08:54 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 riku5464

riku5464
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! You don't happen to know if I can just walk into a service center or if I need to get an RMA from lenovo do you?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

As of last year it was walk in service. If there are more than one ASP near you find one that you feel comfortable with. They are independent repair locations authorized by Lenovo to do the repairs under warranty.

IN Your case I suspect that it is either a daughter card, cable or motherboard. I would be interested in hearing what they find to be the problem.

Toshiba uses the Same system too as a point of information.

Good Luck With Your Problem

Roger.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users