Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox V23 update to V24 : tabs no longer work.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hello FF users, Have you any ideas on this updating hiccup ? FF is not my default browser, but I do use it often. It has certain benefits which Chrome does not have.

I have updated FF religiously throughout its long history of new versions from my ancient version 3 to the current version 24. Up to version 23  everything went Hunky-Dory, but when I just updated version 23 to 24, the God Mozilla got angry for some unknown reason and my tabs no longer work.

Having made a few snoops around and found nothing out of place that was not there previously and looked at the web with no real result, except to find that others have the same problem, I would be grateful if some kind soul in our BC family could reveal the secret of this catastrophe and how to rectify it.

Thanks in advance.

Yabba

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

You could try resetting Firefox. But read what it does before deciding. I know they included a way to

close multiple tabs that's new in 24. It could also be one of your add-ons causing the problem.

Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems | Firefox Help

If you decide to go the resetting route and the problem disappears, go slow in adding back your add-ons

to check if one is the problem. Test after each reinstall.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

They messed up the tabs already in v23.  No longer can you turn tabs off when only one is showing.  I'm stopped at v22 and doubt I'll go any further.

They are messing with tabs because of some other GUI formatting changes they want to make and keeping tabs the way they have been is problematic.  I think they are just trying to emulate Chrome to the detriment of those of us who really liked Firefox. 

Edited by ddeerrff, 17 September 2013 - 08:48 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments.

Resetting ? No way. I am not going through the trauma of FF "trying" to keep my Bookmarks, Passwords, Cookies and God knows what else they have screwed up. Plus having to reinstall all my Extensions and plug-ins,  just to compensate  for their incredible incompetence and inability to do their job properly - have  a nice day Mozilla.

The Mozilla mob could have updated their own FF with version V24 in their own office to  see that the tabs were screwed up, before launching this mess onto the world at large. But did they ?  NO ! elementary my Dear Watson said Sherlock.

All this trouble just for a TAB problem ! It`s a joke, I`ll just keep plodding on with my super-duper Chrome browser where the Google gang are better able to program a simple tab system that works properly.

If some kind person  comes up with a simple solution that does not mean reinventing the wheel, then I will be exceptionally grateful, but to engage in a career on fixing the Mozilla mob`s bundling efforts to produce a working browser is a big NO-NO. I am too old for a second career having successfully completed my first one.

I am not alone - see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/967747

STOP PRESS

Problem solved - just download FF version 23.0.1 from Filehippo http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/changelog/15784/

. It only took  seconds and all the tabs now work perfectly. Forget version 24 until Mozilla pull their finger out and correct it.

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 September 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

I just installed version 24 successfully and my tabs work fine. Ctrl + T and also clicking the + sign both create a new tab.

firefox.jpg

firefox-2.jpg

Edited by chrisd87, 18 September 2013 - 07:49 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

I just installed version 24 successfully and my tabs work fine. Ctrl + T and also clicking the + sign both create a new tab.

firefox.jpg

firefox-2.jpg

Thanks for that response. It just goes to show how unpredictable these programs behave between one PC and another. It obviously depends on the particular package a PC has in terms of programs, extensions and plug-ins etc.

An incompatibility exists between V23 and V24 with some feature in my package that does not exist in yours. The trouble is that I have not enough life left or enthusiasm to find out what it is, so V23 is going to stay with me until a newer version passes all stops without any problems. I am certainly not going to upset a perfectly good V23 apple cart just to pacify the inconsistency of  V24.

Thank you for posting your result, it helps tremendously.  At least it proves that V24 does work with some PC`s  and not others. The difference should have been resolved by Mozilla before release.

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Like you say, just use v23 until you decide to attempt the update again to v24. There's no big difference really to justify needing to update to v24. It could be anything from an addon you may have, to the os and architecture. The only person that'll know is you when you decide to figure it out :smash:

Edited by chrisd87, 18 September 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#8 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Like you say, just use v23 until you decide to attempt the update again to v24. There's no big difference really to justify needing to update to v24. It could be anything from an addon you may have, to the os and architecture. The only person that'll know is you when you decide to figure it out :smash:

Chris, thanks a lot for that.

But more important than these V-thingy`s - I just love  your choice of Smiley. Very appropriate.

Yabba

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

That seems to fix most of my problems, so I felt it was appropriate :devil:

Edited by chrisd87, 18 September 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#10 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

That seems to fix most of my problems, so I felt it was appropriate :devil:

Chris,

I updated yet again to V24 just to see if holding down the CTRL key and then left clicking the tab (+) gave a  new tab.

IT DID NOT, back to the drawing board. So I am  with V23 until further notice.

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 September 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#11 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

What addons are you using? Have you tried to disable all of your addons and then try to make a new tab?

Also go to the about:config in firefox and see if browser.newtabpage.enabled is set to true.

Edited by chrisd87, 18 September 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#12 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

What addons are you using? Have you tried to disable all of your addons and then try to make a new tab?

Also go to the about:config in firefox and see if browser.newtabpage.enabled is set to true.

Chris,

Cannot find "browser.newtabpage.enabled"

Help>Troubleshooting Information - then only  "browser.tabs.loadInBackground = false" refers to tabs. But this works OK with V23, so why not with V24 ?

#13 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

Don't use the troubleshooting information to look at the about:config as it does not show all of the settings. Please type about:config in your address bar and look at it there.

Also it looks like changing that setting doesn't actually affect new tab creation. All it does is it shows you the recent websites you went to in columns.

Still investigating for you. :bowdown:

Do this for me please.

Go to your help and restart firefox with addons disabled and see if you're allowed to create a new tab. If you are then one of your addons is causing the problem with the new version.

Edited by chrisd87, 18 September 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#14 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Don't use the troubleshooting information to look at the about:config as it does not show all of the settings. Please type about:config in your address bar and look at it there.

Also it looks like changing that setting doesn't actually affect new tab creation. All it does is it shows you the recent websites you went to in columns.

Still investigating for you. :bowdown:

Do this for me please.

Go to your help and restart firefox with addons disabled and see if you're allowed to create a new tab. If you are then one of your addons is causing the problem with the new version.

"about:config" shows "true" against "browser.newtabpage.enabled".

Restarting FF with all addons disabled, there is no problem with tabs - all work OK.

So, it looks like an addon is causing the trouble. But working on the Law of Diminishing Returns, the immense trouble needed to find the offending addon does not warrant the miniscule benefit which updating from V23 to V24 will give. I guess I will have to try V24 again in a few weeks  and even perhaps wait until V25 comes out to see if Mozilla have corrected their conflicting version vs. addon issue or alternatively if the owner of the offending addon has by then configured it to comply with FF V24.

I thank you very much Chris for your efforts on this matter. Bear in mind that many other users on the web have complained about being faced with the same problem. I am not alone. Perhaps they will read this thread on BC.

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 September 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#15 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

I do concur that developers of certain addons should update their addon to work with newer versions of  firefox and also firefox should be aware of certain addons that are not compatible with the new version. I would just stick with version 23 unless you just want to have the newest out there and deal with not having the addon that's causing the problem. Thanks for giving us feedback with the solution. So now there's no need for this --> :killcomp:  and a lot more of this --> :busy:

Edited by chrisd87, 18 September 2013 - 11:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users