Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Boot Services

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 afroe

afroe

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

First of all, I looked to see if anything else like this was posted. Since I didn't see anything, I can only imagine the stupidity of the question I am going to ask. Here goes.

What if I booted in safe mode, and noted the services that were running. And then in "regular" mode automatically started those (plus my AV) and put the rest to manual. . I am so sick of my pc running like a sway back horse. 

Is this possible or is it a dumb idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

If your system is suddenly not performing as it used to it is NOT because of the services starting with the system. Why don't you explain IN DETAIL the specific issue(s) you are having?

#3 afroe

afroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for responding.  I don't know exactly what is happening. I have tons of errors in Event Viewer. 
1K errors for Outlook

5.3K application errors

5.3 K Service control manager errors (don't know if this many is normal)

I don't have any hardware events, but it scares me when I see anything related to the Kernel, like Kernel-General errors. I don't know if the number of errors I am getting is normal or not. I don't know if that is why my computer is running so slow. I did some kind of scan, I thought it was a start up scan, and after that it was so fast. For the first boot. Then right after it was so slow again. 

There is no reason for what I have to be running like this. It should be lightening fast.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

You still haven't explained what the problem is. WHAT is slow? EXACTLY what problems are you experiencing with your system?

Also, what type of "scan" did you run?

And please run full system scans with BOTH your anti virus app and with MalwareBytes.

#5 afroe

afroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

I run scans on a regular basis, with MalwareBytes and McAfee's RootKit remover. The part that is slow. Programs take a while to open. My mouse freezes. And startup time takes forever. I have not been able to identify a virus with everything I have been running. It is just slow. I don't know how else to describe it any better than that. I don't know the type of scan. I thought it was a startup scan. I think I ran it through Avast, when they identified a threat. I have not been able to find that type of scan again. Obviously, I was mistaken. Maybe a boot scan. Everything I read about Boot scans is if there is a virus there isn't anything much you can do about it. I don't know if that is right. I feel like my PC should be running and responding so much faster, but it seems sluggish.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Do you have an anti virus app installed? You mention a rootkit scanner and then you mentioned you once ran a scan with Avast - but do you have an anti virus app installed and resident (MalwareBytes is not an anti virus app)?

If the answer is no, then I'm guessing your system is infected. If you DO have an anti virus app installed and resident, please boot to safe mode. Does the system respond normally in safe mode or is it still slow?

#7 afroe

afroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

I have two installed. Microsoft Security Esssentials and Avast. I know people say that it is bad to have two, but I read about levels of security. I know that they mean, router security, firewall, Ctrl+Alt+Del logon, but I thought it would be good to have too. I issues started before I added the Avast. 

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Having two av's installed at the same time is as bad as having none. They conflict with one another. You need to UNINSTALL one or the other and then run a full scan with the one that remains.

Edited by Allan, 20 September 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

To help all of us get a better understanding of your system please do the following if you still require assistance.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link for the snapshot.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users