Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I determine if my HDD has gone bad or if it's just a corrupt boot sector?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcnublet12345

pcnublet12345

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Here's the background info:

http://db.tt/yThiFyvI

Okay sorry bout the delay. I turned the computer on Monday and I got this error. I turned it off and then back on, computer loaded very slowly into windows (unusual for this machine). Once in Windows, some of the icons in my tray didn't load and I couldn't connect to internet. I restarted once again. This time the computer started and ran fine until about 3pm, when I returned there was a BSOD (sry no pic, don't remember errors).

This morning I again tried to start the computer, but the HDD was not recognized as a bootable device. I restarted a few times, sometimes the HDD will show as bootable, go to windows glowing symbol, and then either restart or give the error in the picture. I do see the HDD in the bios. It seems if I get into the bios, then exit, the HDD will be available from the boot menu but it will never fully load.

I've tried the windows startup repair, but it said it could not repair it. I tried fixmbr, fixboot, etc from the prompt, but it said that the device was not connected or there was I/O error. I've tried different SATA cables. Probably some other things that I'm not remembering right now as well...

Alright, so I took the HDD out and tried it on another computer. The hdd was visible in the BIOS, however, once I got into windows it failed to install the drivers for it. I cannot run a chkdsk or any other type of scan because it's not recognizing the hdd(though it shows in my windows explorer). I tried setting the bad hdd as my only boot device, somehow it bypasses it and boots the the main hdd. At this point I am fairly sure that it's corrupt sectors/bad hard drive. Probably gonna pony up and buy a new one, but I would like to recover some data (even clone if possible) this drive to the new one I'll order. So... what is the best/easiest way to go about that if I can't seem to get access to the drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

You could always try Seatools...

#3 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Ontrack, Flashback Data and DriveSavers are three well-known companies that can attempt to retreive files off of a 'dead' hard drive. Pricing typically runs between a few hundred to a couple of thousand dollars (US).

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

Seatools

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

How to use Seatools

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202435en

#5 pcnublet12345

pcnublet12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Seatools doesn't recognize the drive.  It is a seagate drive as well.  Windows spent about 5 minutes trying to install drivers for it when i turned it on, but said it failed.  When I downloaded discwizard and ran it, it also didn't see the drive.  The drive is visible in my windows explorer, but I cannot access it.  In my device manager, I have an additional disk drive to normal showing, but it is labeled "Disk Drive", so I don't think it's recognizing it properly. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Well...if the Seagate utility doesn't recognize it...I'd have to say that it's a dead drive/lost cause.  Your idea of a "corrupt boot sector" would have no impact on the SeaTools utility, since it doesn't care a bit about ability/inability to boot the hard drive into Windows.

Louis

#7 pcnublet12345

pcnublet12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Sad to hear... very important data on the drive.  Well, thanks for the help.  I'll check back tomorrow to see if maybe there is another alternative.

#8 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508149/how-do-i-determine-if-my-hdd-has-gone-bad-or-if-its-just-a-corrupt-boot-sector/?p=3160271

#9 pcnublet12345

pcnublet12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Update:  I was able to use UBCD and parted magic to recover the files.  Gonna replace the HD and start anew.  Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users