Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internally Disconnected Webcam?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Basic Information:

• Model: HP Envy 15 Touchsmart-j040us
  • Problem: 

My INTERNAL webcam will occasionally work. It worked when I first got the laptop approximately one month ago (August 2013). When the webcam is not working, windows will alert me that there is a problem with the last plugged in USB device (there are no external USB's attatched so I assume its the internal USB webcam).

When I access device manager, there are no devices under imaging hardware. There is an "unknown device" under the category "Other Devices." The error code provided with the unknown device is Code 43. The device has a yellow triangle icon next to it, however, no other devices do.

When I scan for hardware devices in the device manager, the unknown device still remains with the yellow triangle icon next to it.

But, sometimes the webcam WILL WORK! I will boot up my PC and it will work no problems. It continues to work even through a few reboots and sleep cycles...then suddenly it will stop working after reawakening the PC.

• Solutions Attempted:

I have updated my BIOS, Chipset drivers, reset my operating system, and I have tried to manually get the drivers for it, but I cannot find them anywhere. I also have been in device manager, uninstalled all items under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and then restarted windows. 

• Device Name: HP Truevision HD
  • What I believe is wrong: Sounds like it's possibly an internal disconnection, but then again, I don't understand how it could be that if it works sometimes for a period of time of a few hours. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

Thank you,

Danny.

University at Buffalo - Computer Science Major

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

It's defective. Return it for a replacement.

#3 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

It definitely sounds like a driver issue. Have you tried downloading the driver package from hp's website?

If that doesn't work, I'd try contacting support. Best case, they can sort it out. Worst case you send yours in and have a replacement delivered. In the mean time I'll keep looking around and let you know if I find anything.

#4 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

It definitely sounds like a driver issue. Have you tried downloading the driver package from hp's website?

If that doesn't work, I'd try contacting support. Best case, they can sort it out. Worst case you send yours in and have a replacement delivered. In the mean time I'll keep looking around and let you know if I find anything.

Thank you! Yes, I have tried installing everything from HP's website for my notebook. When I perform a hard reset, 80% of the time the webcam begins to work again. After a few cycles of closing the lid or shutting off the notebook, I lose my webcam. However it does stay under "Other devices" so it can't be completely disconnected from my motherboard right? Is there anyway to completely uninstall the drivers and then have them reinstall? I feel like they're corrupted or something...like I said, the webcam works sometimes and sometimes it decides not to.

Edit: Also, when it disconnects, it doesn't disconnect like you're unplugging a USB. It just says that the last USB device plugged in has malfunction or something of the sorts.

Edit 2: So my bluetooth adapter apparently had the SAME ERROR CODE (Code 43) so I reinstalled my BIOS and it fixed BOTH PROBLEMS. I will wait and see when it screws up next. So I'm convinced that this is a driver/BIOS issue now. I don't think anything is disconnected.

Edited by yougotdslapd, 17 September 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#5 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Awesome. I hope it was just a bios issue and it's straightened out now. Nothing more frustrating than brand new hardware acting up, but it sounds like you're on top of it.

#6 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

So now it's causing the same problems. Also, my Intel Bluetooth Adapter is disabling itself which is puzzling. I'm going to try an HP Factory restore. Last time I reset windows, all it did was delete my files and setting I think. This should revert all my drivers back to how they were when I took the laptop out of the box. Fingers crossed!

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

I don't understand why you are faffing around with this laptop - at some risk of doing something that will void the warranty.

It's one month old and not working properly !  Back-up and remove any data you have put on it - work, photos etc. - take it back to your supplier and say :

"It isn't working properly, I would be grateful if you would replace it"

You always start off politely, you can get  more positive later !  Take the SpywareDoc's advice - TAKE IT BACK !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Argh, I'm back at it again! I'm in college so it's not an option to send this thing in for repairs right now. I take all my notes on it and type up my papers and program on it.

Without fail, uninstalling all the drivers under Universal Serial Bus in device manager and then shutting off the notebook and removing the battery FIXES the webcam every time, but only for a few sleep/wake cycles. Then it goes code 43 on me. Irritating. Also, reinstalling BIOS always fixes it. 

Does anyone know what I can do? It's not like I use the webcam all the time, but I hate having a brand new notebook that is not 100% functional.

EDIT: It found its "hidden" controller under USB devices...it is an internal USB report reporting code 45 which is a disconnect...but I'm confused why a BIOS install and a battery removal fix it every time. 

3h5l.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So basically it's telling me it doesn't recognize the webcam, therefore it's saying it's disconnected when actually something is probably corrupt? I don't know what to think at this point lmao. Going OCD over this.

Edited by yougotdslapd, 02 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#9 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Software cannot fix defective hardware.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Webcam-not-detected-Envy-14/td-p/689977

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Webcam-on-Envy-14-Beats-only-detects-when-the-display-is-at/td-p/914141

http://www.justanswer.com/laptop/7c2dd-laptop-computer-making-device-connect-disconnect.html

#10 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yes, I've explored that idea. However, a hard reboot fixes it consistently; every single time, it fixes it...until I put it to sleep. I already asked for a warranty repair so I'm sending the laptop in, but I seriously thought I could fix it myself. I won't be surprised if it doesn't work after they send it back. 

#11 lti

lti

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

I've heard that HP's repair center is pretty good. They keep the computer for a couple weeks, but it works when you get it back. I haven't actually sent an HP computer back for warranty repair, so I don't actually have any experience with them.

Edited by lti, 05 October 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#12 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

To anyone who reads this having the same problem as I, HP's Truevision HD Webcams are notorious for internally disconnecting. This is another case of an internal disconnection. 

Basically, what this means is that the webcam, which has a cable that connects it to the motherboard, has either become unplugged up at the top in the monitor, or it has been unplugged from the motherboard. 

You could easily repair this yourself, however, if your laptop is under warranty, you might as well just send it in to get fixed instead of voiding your warranty. Besides, the rumor on the street is that if you send HP the same laptop for the same repair more than twice, they replace it or upgrade it for you. 

It's really an unfortunate problem. Such a beautiful laptop shouldn't have a silly issue like this! Nothing too major though. Don't bother trying to fix it for hours with software solutions. None of them work. Send it in or DIY!

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03733656.pdf This is HP's self-repair guide. It will basically show you how to disassemble your laptop and access the motherboard to try and fix this.

#13 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I don't mean to bump a dead thread, but I want to share another experience.

I sent my notebook to HP on October 7th, 2013. I got it back October 16th, 2013...pretty fast repair! But there's a catch. They didn't fix the problem. It actually appears that they opened up the laptop, broke a clip on the bottom part of it, and put it back together. Webcam still doesn't work, and now under my right palm rest, there is a gap between the aluminum top casing and the plastic bottom casing that causes an obnoxious clicking noise when I lift my right hand after typing. 

Good job HP! :smash:

EDIT: HP assigned me a case manager and they are offering to replace the unit if I provide them with a copy of my receipt! Hopefully I can find it. Customer service from them has improved since the peoples' experiences I read about.

Edited by yougotdslapd, 18 October 2013 - 06:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users