Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something is stopping me from running Dban correctly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noodles123

noodles123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm trying to use Dban to erase my hard drive. I burned Dban ISO to disc correctly. When I run it and use quick erase function it stops after a few seconds and gives me these error messages-

*Error/dev/sda (process crash)

*Error/dev/sdb (process crash)

*Error/dev/sdc (process crash)

*Error/dev/sdd (process crash)

*Error/dev/sde (process crash)

Nothing is erased.

I did some google searching and found various things about disabling SATA drives or USB devices or something. I don't know because I'm not too techy. I've tried looking in BIOS but I don't really know what to change. I also tried disabling 4 different Generic USB devices in device manager with no effect.

Here's something I found in Dban's help forum which I don't understand but it appears to be my problem - http://sourceforge.net/p/dban/discussion/208932/thread/332bf1d2/

Could someone please help me out and walk me through what I have to do to get Dban running. It's getting to be a real pain and I'm about to do an "Office Space" beat down on my PC!

I have a HP Pavilion P6000 Series,  Model No6505uk

I have windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Any help would be really great.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2013 - 07:11 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Ok....according to the page you specified, the poster recommends unplugging all drives EXCEPT the CD drive that has the DBAN disc and the hard drive that you are going to use it on. If you have a card reader (which according to this page: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02463923&lang=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4162263  - you do) and front panel USB you're going to need to disconnect it from the motherboard, which requires opening up the case and tracing the wires.

If I'm reading your post correctly (and the DBAN page), you have 5 devices total, and you need to disable 3 of them. Do you have a 2nd hard drive? Two CD drives? If not then I would think the card reader, front panel USB, and unplugging all USB devices should get you close to where you need to be.

#3 noodles123

noodles123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Hi thanks for the help.

So I actually have to open it up and unplug stuff. I've never done that before. I pretty sure I only have one hard drive. I've never added anything to upgrade it since I bought it so apart from all the programs I've added and my own personal info that's stored on it the computer is exactly as it was when I got it. I only have one CD drive.

How do I unplug the other USB devices? The same way as unplugging the front ones by tracing the wires?

Is there no way to disable these things from BIOS?

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Are you using a USB keyboard and/or mouse?

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

I tried DBAN once, couldn't get it to work. I used Active Kill Disk. Very user friendly.

#6 noodles123

noodles123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

Oh yeah that's a good point, I have a both USB keyboard and mouse. Dban seems like too much trouble than it's worth. I heard of Kill Disk. Is it as good as Dban? Will it wipe my hard drive just as thoroughly? I've stored all kinds sensitive information on it which I want to make sure is gone for good when I sell it. Will I be able to re-install my OS after I'm done with Killdisk?

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

I have used it many times to wipe old drives, but never reinstalled anything on them. You're supposed to be able to. It uses different types of formats to overwrite old data. You can do multiple passes to ensure data is unrecoverable.

I also use SDelete, which is a very simple program that you can run in command line. May not be as aggressive as what you are looking for, plus you would need to run it from a desktop with the drive in question installed as a secondary.

Common Questions on Killdisk:

http://killdisk.com/commquest.htm

#8 noodles123

noodles123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

I'm probably just going to try Killdisk instead. Thanks for all the help Netghost, you've been most helpful.  :thumbup2:

Edited by noodles123, 19 September 2013 - 09:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users