Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Home Edition: Permissions Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adh_amit

adh_amit

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:20 AM

Hi,
I have three drives C,D and E on my PC.When I go to administrative tools, these three are marked as default shared.If I try to change ths, I am not allowed to do so and the message I get is that this has been shared for admin purposes.
My requirement is that I want to have a folder in E drive which can only be accessed by administrator.Since the default share is at E drive level and grants control to everyone, my folder level permissions are over ruled.What can be done to remove that default share??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:32 PM

The names of the drives are most likely the letter plus the number sign ( # ).

Everydrive that is connected has it, and it cannot be removed. It is a default share that Windows uses to mange administrative rights exclusivly for itself.

As for sharing the specific folder and having it set up so only specific users can access it cannot be done in XP Home. However, in XP Pro you can. Also in XP Pro you can actually leave specific actions each user can do.

For example: I have a folder I want John, Joe, and Sandy to only read and add files but not delete files. And Moe, Jim, and Luke, can only add files but cannot see what is already there.

#3 adh_amit

adh_amit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:16 AM

yes, I also thought it is a limitation of the home edition..but just wanted to confirm..
Thanks for your reply..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users