Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP wont load and reverts to info screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fezzyboy

fezzyboy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

Yeah I know.....crap explaination.  Ok. My gorgeous girlfriend has quite an old tower system and it is running windows XP home edition.  It has recently refused to load up to the desktop screen.  This is the sequence of events :-

You turn on the computer and various screens pop up with geeky information then the windows XP logo appears with the loading bar.  This then disappears and a black screen appears with various information regarding the computer. Its says

"WINDOWS DID NOT START PROPERLY SUCESSFULLY.  A RECENT HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE CHANGE MIGHT OF CAUSED THIS.

The options that are available are:-

SAFE MODE.

SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMT.

LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION WHICH MOST RECENT SETTINGS THAT WORKED.

START WINDOWS NORMALLY.

If you leave the screen and don't select any of the above the computer just keeps going round in circles and ending up at the screen above.

SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING & LAST KNOW CONFIGURATION POINT  just do the same when selected.

The SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT takes you to a colourful screen with 2 separate menus.  These options are out of my league.

Please help as this problem needs sorting and she has a lot of course work she doesn't want to lose.

It would be most appreciated.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Was there any new hardware or software installed recently?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?  You weren't clear on this.

Do you have the installation disc for the operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 fezzyboy

fezzyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for replying..... When I select SAFE MODE form the menu it still goes round in circles ending up at the menu screen.  Is there another way into SAFE MODE??? There has been no new software or hardware installed. As for the disc I don't know.  All she is worried about is losing all her work on the hard disc

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

How to use Ubuntu to recover data from a hard drive.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

At HowToGeek there is a good tutorial for using Ubuntu to recover data from a hdd.

Edited by dc3, 18 September 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 fezzyboy

fezzyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hi thanks for that. But unfortunately the boot up keeps cycling and the computer will not allow me to do anything...need to sort this problem first....

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

You won't be booting into the operating system, you will boot from the disc you will make.

The only other thing you may need to do is to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM in the first device, and the hhd the second.

#7 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

The SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT

The following link has instructions on how to restore your system by using Command Prompt.

Please keep in mind that restoring your system to an earlier point will remove any software that have been installed after it; but all personal data stays intact:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

SpyCatcher*

When I select SAFE MODE form the menu it still goes round in circles ending up at the menu screen. 

#9 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

OP says:

If you leave the screen and don't select any of the above the computer just keeps going round in circles and ending up at the screen above.

The SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT takes you to a colourful screen with 2 separate menus.  These options are out of my league.

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users