Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best options to get drivers for any Computer or OS?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Since sometimes you cannot find a correct driver on the manufacturer's site, finding the correct drivers for different computers and it's OS is maybe the most painstaking chore for me, is the any one "easy" software, site or solution to find the correct drivers for any given computer please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

You should make your downloads from the manufacturer's website.  This way you can be assured of getting the proper downloads.

Most manufacturers will have a means of listing your product so the correct download is chosen.  Some will have a scan which will identify the product and provide the correct downloads.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

You should make your downloads from the manufacturer's website. 

When you say Manufacturer, do you mean if it's a Dell pc for example, this mean download from Dell's site? Far as I know, in order to get the proper driver you would need to search the net for the Device ID then try to track down who made that component, usually the MOBO manufacturer? Please clarify?

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

You should make your downloads from the manufacturer's website. 

When you say Manufacturer, do you mean if it's a Dell pc for example, this mean download from Dell's site? Far as I know, in order to get the proper driver you would need to search the net for the Device ID then try to track down who made that component, usually the MOBO manufacturer? Please clarify?

That is correct. If you have a Dell, then go to the Dell website, if you have a HP then go to their website. Find the respected category for the device that you want to update, or get a driver for and then download the correct one based on your operating system.

Warning! Please read this first.
Manual downloading & installation is the best method to ensure proper driver installation!!

Now with all of the said and you want to try a program for yourself, then here is a good one for you to try. I've never had any issues with it when I've tried it for testing. Your experiences may vary, and just always keep it in the back of your mind, that not all programs are perfect and there is always the chance that it can download the wrong driver for you, and cause you more problems than what you had to start with...

Edited by chrisd87, 17 September 2013 - 09:43 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

If this is a OEM computer and you need the drivers for it you should go to the manufacturer's website.  Exampl: chipset drivers, audio driver, graphics driver,etc.

If this is a retail motherboard, same thing, go to the manufacturer's website.

If it is a Windows operating system some drivers can be uninstalled in the Device Manager if they are corrupted and replace the next time the computer is started.  Other drivers can be replaced by running sfc /scannow.  Other repairs depends on the operating system and the repair tools it comes with.

Is there something specific which you are looking for the drivers for?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

I am simply tired of reloading Operating systems and have to got to Dell, HP e.t.c and there are multiple drivers listed which don't work, usually the main driver I would have trouble with is the "Network Controller" driver which is usually associated with the "wireless" card and whenever this happens I almost always have to get to the mobo's manufacturer to get the correct driver. I wish there was some utility I could run on a machine which would either lead me to the correct driver or auto-install it? Anything exists which might do close to what's mentioned?

Edited by mystic12, 17 September 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

I am simply tired of reloading Operating systems and have to got to Dell, HP e.t.c and there are multiple drivers listed which don't work, usually the main driver I would have trouble with is the "Network Controller" driver which is usually associated with the "wireless" card and whenever this happens I almost always have to get to the mobo's manufacturer to get the correct driver. I wish there was some utility I could run on a machine which would either lead me to the correct driver or auto-install it? Anything exists which might do close to what's mentioned?

Did you not read the sentence under the BIG red warning label? I posted a link to a program you can try.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Another good program is Driver Magician.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users