Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer S3 391 Coffee Damage - Dead

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spent5

Spent5

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hello,

I recently acquired an Acer S3 391 Windows 8.  Apparently got a cup of coffee with cream spilled on the keyboard..

It was a Friday and was left alone for the weekend and Monday morning it would not boot or light up.. nothing.

Please help me to decide if it's Battery issues or maybe a motherboard?

Since the battery is internal I'm thinking it could be both.

I have taken the back off.. smells quite good I must say :)

I have disconnected the battery and tried it just plugged in.. what could I try to fix this Laptop.

thanks I'm Spent

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Most likely the coffee reached the motherboard and it shorted out. I have handled several of these in the past- only one had severe enough leakage to fry the motherboard. Best thing to do (if you want to repair) is to completely dissemble the laptop and look at all components carefully. Your hard drive, DVDROM, RAM, and WIFI card (if you have one) should be OK, but do a close inspection to be sure. Then take the part number on your motherboard and do a search on Ebay for a replacement.

EDIT: Before doing so I would also mount the hard drive in another system (as a secondary) and make sure the short didn't fry it as well.

Good Luck!

Edited by Netghost56, 17 September 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

First thing NOT to do when you spill liquid in a system....power it up.  Take it apart, clean/dry the components, unplug/clean all connectors, then cross your fingers.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

I should charge extra for the ones I have done- four coffee spills, one soda, and a bottle of tattoo ink. Don't ask. :huh:

#5 Spent5

Spent5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.. I will head off to ebay I think..

for now I will get the data off of it.. never saw a ssd.  didn't know they were so small..

Thanks to Everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users