Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Server Antivirus ? e.g. for Windows Server 2008

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andromeda9

andromeda9

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

Hi guys,

• What free Antivirus software for servers?
  • What free anti-malware would NOT be a good idea?

Info:

My friend has purchased a Poweredge server to act as a fileserver for a private network not connected to the internet..  He uses 2 laptops at the most  to access files on the server.

However at some points he will update Windows Server 2008 plus odd bits by temporaily hooking up to the Internet., and obviously leave himself open to malware etc. for a short time.

The cost of server Antivirus is very high and usually effective for 10 workstations upwards, and obviously he would appreciate keeping costs down.

Questions:

I would appreciate thoughts on ideas for avoiding a costly solution.

Also, if he got Malware on it (e.g. Rootkit or Delta) would current Bleeping Computer tools (e.g. Rkill, RogueKiller etc) still work on the server - or does it require another approach? 

I am asking fior advice BEFORE he gets started while options are open.

Thanks in advance guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

The answer is fairly simple. Just read the details on the site -

Microsoft Security Essentials is available for small businesses with up to 10 PCs.

Microsoft Security Essentials:
Microsoft updated it’s free Anti-Virus solution at the end of 2010 to support Windows 2008/R2.
This is easily one of the better free offerings as Microsoft has updated this solution to complete directly with some of the biggest solutions, such as Mcafee and Symantec paid versions.

When downloading, simply choose Windows Vista / Windows 7, as Microsoft has yet to update the website.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Regards -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Also, if he got Malware on it (e.g. Rootkit or Delta) would current Bleeping Computer tools (e.g. Rkill, RogueKiller etc) still work on the server - or does it require another approach?

Delta Search is a web search engine and toolbar which comes bundled with other software. Once installed it changes the browser homepage, replaces the default search engine and displays ads with sponsored links in the search results. As such, Delta Search is often classified/detected as Adware or a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP), a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as harmful. Thus, this type of detection does not always necessarily mean the file is malicious or a bad program. PUPs in and of themselves are not always bad...many are generally known, non-malicious but unwanted (bundled) software. PUPs are considered unwanted because they can cause undesirable system performance or other problems and are sometimes installed without the user's consent since they are often included when downloading legitimate programs. PUPs may also be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition.

Note: Many anti-virus programs and some security scanners have options to include or exclude the detection of PUPs because of how they are defined. If an anti-virus is not finding any PUPs, then most likely the settings have been set to exclude that detection.

A Rootkit is a completely different category but most specialized fix tools should work unless the malware targets them in such a manner as to shut these tools down.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 andromeda9

andromeda9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Thanks Aussie Addict

Thats really helpful. I will pass that on.

The reason I'm asking these questions is to minimise problems should the server get infected.

Do you have any view on the use of Anti-Malware tools like Adwcleaner, Malwarebytes, Rkill, RougueKiller etc on the server?

Obviously I would get my friend to use Bleeping Computer (because it would be important to get any malware removal right first time) but  I wondered what are the sort of things that you guys could / could NOT use on a server to remove malware, and what strategy we could implement now.?

I looked at some of the tools and they do not specifically say Windows 2008 server.

Apologies if maybe my question is to broad - but we'd appreciate an answer maybe based on BC's  top 5-6 tools used for malware removal.

What what if anything he could/should run to augment Microsoft Security Essentials on his server  ?

Although I use an Acronis backup solution he is unwise to rely on any backup solution as the sole method. Backups don't remove malware, and are not an answer to removal,

Hence I hope we are being sensible in asking some precautionary questions about Malware removal - before he gets his server in operation..

Thanks again

Edited by andromeda9, 17 September 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#5 andromeda9

andromeda9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Quietman7

Thank you for the clear explanation. Appreciated

I wondered whether your normal collection of Malware removal tools wood work on the Server as per my previous post to Ausie Addict?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Our forums are set up to help the home computer user deal with issues and questions relating to personal computers. Many helpers are not familiar with Servers and most of the specialized fix tools we use are restricted to non-commercial use by their developers. Those that are not restricted you may need to test first (or look for more information on their web sites, contact the vendor, etc) to see if they will work correctly.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

What what if anything he could/should run to augment Microsoft Security Essentials on his server ?

Someone there needs to understand that industry has special needs of its own (unlike home users).

Programs like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware make a special version just for commercial use.

As you, or someone, is setting up a company, these things need to be a part of normal business procedures, just like purchasing furniture or other every-day office supplies. You would not use a kitchen table as the main reception desk, but you would need to have the correct items to suit.

BleepingComputer will help a very small (one computer) business, but the type of set-up you mention, is not regarded as normal around here, and the tools are not designed for that type of use.

We do hope that you understand -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users