Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Tint On Screen! Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DavidWu007

DavidWu007

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

I currently have a Dell Studio 1735 laptop. I got it some 7 years back.

It's running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit I think.

Its got a Intel Duo Core CPU T9300 @ 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, and a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650.

I usually run my laptop with the power plugged in (and battery out) as opposed to using just the battery.

My power plan is set to "High performance".

I have this super annoying blue tint that comes on and off randomly. It is completely unpredictable.

Sometimes it fills the entire screen with hundreds of light blue lines causing this "blue tint".

Sometimes it covers only certain areas (certain colors I'm assuming).

Sometimes it does this thing where there are diagonal light blue (very thick) areas that appear to move upwards towards the top non-stop.

Please note all of the stated scenarios are "tints" and everything on the screen can still be seen.

I am in desperate need of help. This issue has started several years back.

In the previous years, it seems to have "resolved itself". After a couple of weeks it would mysteriously stop and go on hiatus.

It happens about the same time every year so it could be a temperature-related issue.

Just now, I tried updating the drivers with no success.

I do not have access to an external monitor to test out the issue.

I feel like it's a hardware issue that can be fixed via software tweaks.

However, I legitimately have no idea if this is a hardware or software issue 

I don't know much about computers as you may or may not have guessed.

I use my laptop for college so I don't do anything intense.

I don't have money for a new system and probably don't have the money to bring it to a shop to fix.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2013 - 08:22 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

Try running it in safemode if the problem persists. The GPU chip soldering might need to be reflowed by a BGA heat gun since the problem is related to previous thermal events making certain lead contacts on motherboard/chip become dry or loose.

Tekken

#3 DavidWu007

DavidWu007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

As of right now, the issue isn't occurring long enough for me to apply a solution with reliable results.

It did it for like a split second and then disappeared for hours/days.

I will have to come back to this later.

I will reiterate that this issue is completely unpredictable.

It may happen once for five seconds and not happen for two weeks.

It may happen once and stick around for a few hours.

I can't replicate the issue with specific procedures.

Edited by DavidWu007, 19 September 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

Well those behaviors tends to lead to something disastrous if not prevented. If it were me, I would take it for a round maintenance checkup on a repair shop to prevent more thermal damage. Seen this happen on a friend's laptop which ended up in a bin after a couple of months.

Tekken

#5 zbuckone

zbuckone

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:49 AM

If your problem could be heat related it might be prudent to give your computer a good cleaning.  Considering your computer's age it very well could be experiencing heat problems due to dust and grime picked up from the atmosphere over the years.  Over time dust and grime can create something like an insulating blanket which hold heat to the extent it can really harm the affected hardware.  There are many good tutorials on cleaning your computer.  

Edited by zbuckone, 02 October 2013 - 03:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users