Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to obtain a New Windows 7 installer or Boot Disc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 psiucrash24

psiucrash24

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

For the life of me I can't find (rather I am not sure that I have even had one) a boot disc that I thought should have came with the purchase of my Toshiba Satellite Laptop.  It's been about a year since I've had the computer and I'd like to be able to reformat my computer with a disc.  Microsoft said that per my Product ID code, that using them for "HELP" will constitute me being charged a fee.  Does anyone know where I can obtain (LEGALLY) a windows boot disc?  I'd create one from my current OS, however it's not running correctly to begin with, hence the desire for a reformat.  Any help and/or info is greatly appreciated.  Once again I just need a boot disc.  I have my own Product Key.

RUNNING: Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

here's the official iso's... you'll have to download your drivers from the manufacturer though for your machine to function correctly. A system specific installer is normally easier, but not the only way.

try asking Toshiba if they have an install iso for your machine.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Being Toshiba you may have a recovery partition, and will be able to reformat without a disk.

I used google ... and wow.. look at that.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4811-toshiba-laptop-reset-to-factory-settings

#4 psiucrash24

psiucrash24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

Being Toshiba you may have a recovery partition, and will be able to reformat without a disk.

I used google ... and wow.. look at that.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4811-toshiba-laptop-reset-to-factory-settings

Google is pretty handy.  I am annoyed that Toshiba doesn't include a boot disc.  I much prefer a boot disc over a secret hard drive location.  But beggars can't be choosers so thank you for the information.  If this works I will just have to create a boot disc as soon as I get set up with the factory settings.  Thanks again TsVk!

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Your super welcome... It's only that I knew this, to look for it. (ex ToshibaCare victim myself)

I like to install all required programs and then make a "System Image"... so when it comes time that I may need to re-install, everything is there already (except a million windows, java and adobe updates) 

:thumbsup2:

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

Also from a Toshiba laptop user -

Toshiba laptops from mid-2007 onwards don't have a recovery disc supplied with the laptop. Instead, Toshiba has added a hidden partition on the hard drive which contains the same files as a recovery CD/DVD.

To restore your laptop to its factory settings, follow these steps:

Toshiba Satellite Laptop recovery partition
* 1. Issue
* 2. Method: Using the Recovery partition
* 3. Method : Using the Recovery Discs
- 1. Prerequisites
- 2. Getting started

With the above noted, I did phone Toshiba as I wanted DVDs for my Satellite laptop, and they sold me a set of 3 Recovery DVDs for a small price.

See also - How to reset a Toshiba laptop

To reset Toshiba laptop using the recovery disc, insert it into the DVD ROM drive, change the settings in the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD and restart the system.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

I agree there should be an actual Windows CD. However, this is how companies keep the costs and pricing down. Yes it eats up a portion of the drive, but  It's good to do this as many people otherwise would have to pay for a 3rd party software back up solution to gain the same thing in creating a image clone of the drive. You're are blessed to have a back up as many don't even do that I come across. No cd, no backup, no hidden partition and the laptops service life has ended. For a customer this is a sad day, either losing their data or having to buy a new OEM disc or both and costs of tech support. I can't stress enough how important a back up solution is and saving all your manuals, CD's. LOL That's important stuff folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users