Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NIC disappeared in the Win device list

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hello all,

I have an HP Pavilion Elite 9300 Z running Win 7 (64).  It's about 2 1/2 yrs. old now.  I 
only use it seldomly now since I built a newer/faster PC last year.  When I powered up the Pavilion this morning, I discovered that my internet wasn't working.  It had been working in the past & I haven't changed anything.  <Puzzled>

Later, after checking my connections, I found that my NIC is not in the Win device list.  At this point, I wasn't sure why this happened or what to do.  I tried "adding" a new device, but Win 7's way of doing things wouldn't let me add a device directly.  Rather it wanted to 'look' for "discoverable" devices.  Thinking that Win7 MIGHT actually find my built-in NIC, I decided to let Win try.  I should've known better.  After about 15 min. of no apparent activity, I aborted this farce.  

I decided to try to install a driver from HP's website.  Since it's an .exe file, I thought, this'll probably work.  But, it didn't, even after rebooting, still no NIC in device manager.

Can anyone help me fix this?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below are the Hardware Options of my system:

Processor
Athlonll X4 630 (P) (2.8GHz / 4000 MHz HT3) AM3; 2 MB L2 cache (95W)

Memory
6 GB (3 x 2 GB) DDR3 PC3-10600 (message as PC3-8500)

Hard Drive
640 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

Primary Optical Drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology with external eject

Networking
RealTek Integrated 

Sound
Integrated 7.1 Sound (7.1 channel audio support)

Graphics
GeForce GT220

Keyboard and Mouse
Deluxe combo ergonomic wireless keyboard and mouse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Try doing this to show hidden and see if it show up that way.

show-hidden.jpg

Also make sure it isn't showing up with a Yellow !.

You can also right click on the computer name at the top of the list and select, "Scan For Hardware Changes"

One of those two might find it.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

Did you try checking onboard NIC or LAN is enabled on BIOS?

Tekken

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Are you sure the cable is plugged in securely?

Have you checked Event Viewer under System to see if you can pinpoint when the NIC disappeared?

#5 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thanks, Roger!

I powered up my Pavilion & went straight to the Device Manager so that I could verify my missing NIC.  Sure enough, it wasn't there.  When I clicked on Show Hidden Devices, however, it suddenly appeared!  Happy Joy Joy!!   :bounce:    All is as it should be again.  Yet, this raises the questions, what caused this & why??  <<Twilight Zone theme-song>>

Before all that, I knew somehow my internet was working again because of Win update had D/L some updates causing the PC to reboot...

#6 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies!!!

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

I do not know what caused this, Sorry.

I am glad to hear that it is now working..

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Well folks, there's an update to this...

After "un-hiding" my NIC, the next time I powered-up, a couple of days later, it had gone missing again.  I decided to follow some previous advice to check the settings in the BIOS.  Yep, upon checking the NIC's settings, it had somehow (how or why is a big mystery) gotten set to 'disabled'.  I changed this then booted into Win.  I verified the NIC's presence in the Dev List & tested my 'net connectivity.

All's good, except how this happened in the first place.  Any clues???

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Good to know it was a BIOS LAN settings. Try replacing the CMOS battery just in case. A weak battery could certainly cause those kinds of issues unless its a hardware fault. A network driver reinstall/update from the support site would also be an option to try or reseatting firmly the card and cleaning the contacts/slot would be another possible solution. Software and Driver for HP Pavilion Elite.

Tekken

#10 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Try replacing the CMOS battery just in case. 

Since the batt. is now nearing the 3 year mark, I'd have to agree a replacement would more than likely fix things.  Then, in my experience, built-in devices (like my NIC) are usually enabled by default, aren't they?  

Unfortunately, I don't know what the Pavilion's default settings would be.  Is there a way to find out, that you know of?

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

Unfortunately, I don't know what the Pavilion's default settings would be.

The Desktop PDF Manual is our source. :) But usually by the word 'default' or 'Load Default Settings' would mean the usual components that came with the computer are recognized to function properly.

Tekken

#12 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Try replacing the CMOS battery just in case. 

Since the batt. is now nearing the 3 year mark, I'd have to agree a replacement would more than likely fix things.  Then, in my experience, built-in devices (like my NIC) are usually enabled by default, aren't they?  

Unfortunately, I don't know what the Pavilion's default settings would be.  Is there a way to find out, that you know of?

If you are only having an issue with a single, specific device, I wouldn't expect the CMOS battery to be at fault. Generally a bad CMOS battery will result in the computer's BIOS reverting to default settings, the clock being incorrect, etc. In other words, you'd see system wide problems rather than glitches with a single device. It doesn't happen often, but you might have a network controller chip that's failing. Given that you apparently don't use the machine for anything that demands a NIC with high performance specs, I'd think about buying a $8 to $10 NIC, installing it, and seeing how that works for you. It certainly won't hurt to replace the CMOS battery, and they're really cheap; I just don't think this is the issue.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users